Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Directories, i.e. Kellys

Hi

Would someone with a profession of shoe or boot maker be included by name in a trade directory, does anyone know?

Thank you

Gill

What decade are you wanting? City, smaller town or rural area?
    I guess it would be more likely if the person worked for himself, rather than being an employee.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have several boot and shoemakers in Harrogate and Leeds directories from 1837 onwards. However they seem to be manufacturers and wholesalers rather than cordwainers who worked for them.
      My gr. grandfather and his wife both worked as employees in the shoe trade but are not listed.
      Cath.

Comment

Thank you.
        The family worked as boot/shoe makers in Northampton in the early to mid 1800s

Comment

There were so many boot and shoe makers in that area. More like manufacturing really. You do often find shoemakers in directories but they are usually the 'local' ones serving a specific area, whereas I suspect the Northampton area supplied across the country.
          Anne

Comment

Thank you I also thought that a one man band type shoe maker working at home wouldnt fit into the category to be included in any Directory Just thinking out loud really

Comment

Well, I think he would if he was the village shoemaker, along with the butcher and blacksmith. I think it might be different in a large town where one of the main 'industries' is shoe and boot making. I may be wrong!!
              Anne

Comment

Northampton Archives might have records going that far back, since shoemaking was such a well-established trade in the area.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X