familysearch account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• familysearch account

what does everyone think of familysearch's new request that you make a free account with them in order to search and view their records? they haven't properly explained why they want us to do this. i think they are trying to track some sort of information, but seem very quiet about the benefits of having an account. it's very blanket statement "rich, personalised discovery". there is also a vague sentence about their partner's needing assurance of security with the record sets. and they require a birthdate to prove "you are older than 13"? all seems incredibly suss to me.

They haven't got my real birthdate. If it's good enough for my ancestors to have flexible ages it's good enough for me I signed up several months ago and am mining a rich seam of wills which have proved family connections and added considerably to my tree.

Comment

Maybe they need our birth date in order to baptise us all posthumously ;)
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

To be fair, family search is one of the few sites which has not required registration! Even my library requires registration with a 20 digit reference number, just to renew books on line.

Doesn't really bother me. I don't see anything sinister in it. I am deeply grateful to the LDS for all the free information I have had from them over the years and for he many free hours I have spent in their research centres. If they want my birthrate in exchange for that, I'm happy. I await the emails from the stairlift companies and the funeral directors with stoicism.

OC

Comment

Agree with your comments completely OC - my comment was tongue in cheek!
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            To be fair, family search is one of the few sites which has not required registration! Even my library requires registration with a 20 digit reference number, just to renew books on line.

Doesn't really bother me. I don't see anything sinister in it. I am deeply grateful to the LDS for all the free information I have had from them over the years and for he many free hours I have spent in their research centres. If they want my birthrate in exchange for that, I'm happy. I await the emails from the stairlift companies and the funeral directors with stoicism.

OC
            I do agree with you, but AM intrigued to know what your birthrate is (the penalties of limited editing time ..... )?
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              They haven't got my real birthdate. If it's good enough for my ancestors to have flexible ages it's good enough for me I signed up several months ago and am mining a rich seam of wills which have proved family connections and added considerably to my tree.
              I have also given the incorrect DOB.....just makes me feel easier in myself
              Jacky

Comment

People (i.e. all of you!!) had to give their DOB to register here - for the sake of the FS admin team, when the automatic birthday greeting arrives, and you gave the wrong DOB, please don't do what happens here sometimes, which is that the "replier to FTF emails" is the recipient of abuse ...
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Lol! Stupid kindle.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                    They haven't got my real birthdate. If it's good enough for my ancestors to have flexible ages it's good enough for me .
                    Thanks for that - a good giggle, and a reminder of an early lesson in genealogy: they lied about their ages as the censuses progressed. But they also didn't have driver's licenses and passports that held them to the, uh, facts. My grandmother didn't like being older than her husband and routinely lied about her age.

OC - I agree - I owe a huge debt to the resources brought together by the LDS church and the advice as I started researching.

Comment

Working...
                    X