Death registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death registration

I have been putting together a tree and I cannot find the death registration for someone who died about 2011. Would there be any logical explanation for this, apart from me being senile. I can find his wife who died about a year later but not him on ancestry in the 2007-2015 bmd

Have you got the exact date of the death and the area.

If not perhaps you could look for a will or look on deceased on line for a burial/ cremation then look in the area you think he died with just surname with soundex. Otherwise if he died in hospital was it in a different registration are.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

That collection only has about 55% of the total deaths listed. So maybe his death hasn't be digitalised yet?
      As Lyn suggested, I would be looking next for a will and/or deceased on line announcement.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

GRO Death indexes on Ancestry(and other sites) only go to 2007 - there are no plans (as far as I am aware) to extend that for various contractual reasons.

You can check the microfiche version, which is up to date, at a few main archives, otherwise, if you know the area the death probably took place in, ring the registration office and order a certificate direct.

Or as suggested, check for a will.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hi, I have the exact place and the year is one year either way.

Antony ancestry has up to 2015 on there now. I have the wife who died in 2012 from that index.(. in the England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2015)

Thanks Chrissie re only part done so far, but if they have the wife over a year later transcribed, Id have thought he would have been on there too. Willl keep checking back on there to see if they have put more on then. x
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 01-12-17, 19:42.

Comment

Do you know where to look for a will Heather? It's here -
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
              Hi, I have the exact place and the year is one year either way.

Antony ancestry has up to 2015 on there now. I have the wife who died in 2012 from that index.(. in the England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2015)

Thanks Chrissie re only part done so far, but if they have the wife over a year later transcribed, Id have thought he would have been on there too. Willl keep checking back on there to see if they have put more on then. x
              I think you'll find that Ancestry has the civil registration index
              • England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007 and then for later deaths they have
              • "England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2015
                This collection is a compiled index that covers approximately 55% of the total deaths that occurred in this time period.
                This index provides death details for people in England and Wales, specifically their name, gender, date of birth or age at death, date of death, and residence place at death. However, they do not include the General Register Office (GRO) reference information."
                My understanding is that it is compiled from a range of sources such as obituaries, and funeral directors. There's an interesting dscussion of it here http://elizabethwalne.co.uk/blog/201...13-from-v.html
              Last edited by JudithM; 02-12-17, 12:39.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Many thanks everyone. I have tried wills but the site isnt working at present. Ive googled for obits but no luck so far. x

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post

But not the actual GRO indexes ..... the death index they do have, cobbled together form a variety of sources (which are not given) , is far from complete and in some cases not very accurate - my uncle's death is on there and the date is wrong by a number of months.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                  X