• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry and Mary Streater of New Alresford

Hello,

Henry is my 6x great-grandfather. Little is known of his life other than:

He was a maltster.

He had a number of children baptised in New Alresford between 1740 and 1751. Two were sons, Henry and Samuel.

His aunt was Margaret Grigg, formerly Smith, who married Thomas Grigg in 1725/6 in Alresford.

He is known to have had two nephews, William and Samuel Smith of Winchester.

He had legal and financial troubles between 1771 and 1773, as was reported in the Reading Mercury and the Hampshire Chronicle.

His wife was Mary.

I would appreciate any information,

Thanks,

Adam

Hello Adam and welcome to FTF

Have you got the article for 1774 about Margaret Grigg's will written by Rhichard Chaplin?

Hampshire Chronicle 07 March 1774

The original letter from Joseph Cover to Richard Chaplin

Hampshire Chronicle 30 August 1773

There's quite a bit if you search the papers for Margaret Grigg which then mention the Streater family
    Last edited by Elaine; 05-12-17, 21:04.
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
      Hello Adam and welcome to FTF

Have you got the article for 1774 about Margaret Grigg's will written by Rhichard Chaplin?

Hampshire Chronicle 07 March 1774

The original letter from Joseph Cover to Richard Chaplin

Hampshire Chronicle 30 August 1773

There's quite a bit if you search the papers for Margaret Grigg which then mention the Streater family
      I have not seen this article. It turns out Henry died in 1765 in New Alresford, but other than that I know little more about him.

Comment

Hiya Adam, not sure if you have this daughter.....17 Aug 1745 Martha dau. of Henry STREATER

Found here,,,,,,, http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcr...s/baptisms.htm
        Jacky

Comment

Henry Streater married Mary Smith 18/9/1739 at Winchester St. John. They had the following children, with baptism dates:
          Mary 4/8/1740
          Henry 28/4/1742
          Samuel 30/11/1743
          Martha 17/8/1745
          Hannah 12/8/1747
          Betty 4/10/1749
          Ann 8/11/1751.

There is a Mary who died in New Alresford and was buried 15/12/1751. This could have been Henry's wife, and there is a further marriage for a Henry Streater on 27/7/1752 in Bishops Sutton to Jane Lipscomb.

Other deaths in New Alresford are:
          Jane 1/12/1764 (possible 2nd wife)
          Mary 27/3/1767
          Anne 26/2/1781.

Hannah married John Walter in Winchester in 1788, when she was 40. There is also an interesting entry in the Hampshire Marriage allegations for Henry Carpenter of Old Alresford aged 27 and Elizabeth Streater of Alton aged 25 marrying on 19 August 1781, followed by the next entry of Henry Carpenter of Old Alresford aged 25 and Elizabeth Streater of Alton aged 22 marrying on 26 August 1781. Either way the bride seemed to be slightly out on her age!

A Henry Streater married Mary Burt on 14/10/1768 in Martyr Worthy. There was a Henry Streater baptised 15/11/1769 in New Alresford, but no parents names were given. Could he be their son?

Samuel married Ann Towers in East Worldham 23/5/1769 and had 3 children - Mary 14/6/1770; Henry 29/3/1772 and Ann 17/7/1774. There is a further entry for a marriage between Samuel Streater and Mary Rolfe in Barton Stacey on 10/4/1790, followed by the birth of a daughter Hannah bap. 1/1/1792.

Cannot find any further info on Martha.

Seeing as how Henry died in 1765, is it possibly his son who had the financial troubles in the early 1770's?
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you! That 1739 date certainly helps. Are there any clues to his origins? I now have his marriage date and date of burial, but it would be great if I could get any further back. As for the financial troubles, it's certainly possible as Henry was the eldest son.

Comment

Although there was evidence of Streaters living in New Alresford before 1739, in the burial records, there were no Streaters born there before Henry and Mary's lot - in fact the first record of a Streater baptism (back to 1660) is Mary in 1740. Before then it seemed to have been Streeter. The only similar baptism I can see in all of Hampshire is Henery Streeter bap 9/1/1681/2, son of Bengemen (sic) in Bishops Waltham. If this is your Henry, it would have made him about 60 when his first child was born.

Interestingly Benjamin died in New Alresford in 1689 (as Streater) and one of his sons was called Samuel, so it is quite likely the same family. Let me know if you want any more info regarding Benjamin. Also there were 2 Henry Streaters buried in New Alresford in the early 1700's - one in Feb 1714 and one in Feb 1718. I wonder if the 1714 one was a child and the 1718 one a father, maybe another Henry had been born but is missed from the baptisms - that would be the right time frame for one to marry in 1739.

This info is taken from transcriptions, so you might find out more if you went to the Hampshire archives.
              Linda

Comment

Found a bit more for Henry Snr

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 09 February 1767

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 09 February 1767.PNG

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 14 April 1766

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 14 April 1766.PNG
                Elaine

Comment

Adam, we may be connected. There is a Henry Streater who marries Lucy Norgate in 1796 in Farringdon. My great Grandmother was a Norgate from Hampshire, the family coming from the New Alresford area. I have found Lucy as a twig on my tree! I have done a lot of research into the Norgate family and have them back to 1651, the earliest I can find mention of them in Hampshire.
                  Linda

Comment

Ozgirl,

RE Benjamin Streeter/Streater, I would very much like to have all of the dates you mentioned such as the 1714 and 1718 deaths etc. I'll store these somewhere in case something comes up.

RE the Norgates. Wow! Lucy's father was Richard and he married in Farringdon in 1778 and died there in 1825. I don't know about his spouse except that she died in 1784. Would you be able to share some information that you've found with me?

Elaine,

Thanks for those. I have read transcripts but it's nice to be able to see the articles. Thanks!

Comment

There's some handy dates here

including a ref. for Henry's will 1765

Grigg also worth having a look

Am guessing the will mentioned in the paper was finally settled 1782

Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that!

Comment

Streater burials New Alresford:

Benjamin 30/3/1689
                          Eleanor 4/2/1695
                          Henry 22/2/1714
                          Henry 26/2/1718
                          Frances 18/4/1719
                          Martha 18/4/1729.

No age given for any of these.

Have also PM'ed you.
                          Linda

Comment

Thanks for all of those!

Comment

Can anyone give me a list of baptisms for Benjamin Streater's children? Thanks.

Comment

Robart son of Bengemin Streeter 4 Mar 1678/9 Bishops Waltham
                                Henery son of Bengemen Streeter 9 Jan 1681/2 Bishops Waltham

Benjamin son of Benjamin Streeter 18 Sep 1711 Titchfield note in column "of Sidgenworth"
                                Samuel son of Benjamin Streeter 29 Sep 1713 Titchfield.

Also checked marriages -

Bengemen Streeter and Frances Whicher 4 Sep 1676 Bishops Waltham
                                Benjamin Streater and Frances Whicher 3 Sep 1676 Bramdean. Frances was buried in Bishops Waltham 11 Jan 1681 - presumably from childbirth for Henery.
                                Bengeman Streeter and Martha Street Bishops Waltham 1 Sep 1685

Benjamin Streater and Mary Taylor Portsmouth St Thomas 4 Oct 1710.

Looking at the gap between them I would surmise that this is 2 different Benjamins. All names as in the transcriptions.
                                Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                  Robart son of Bengemin Streeter 4 Mar 1678/9 Bishops Waltham
                                  Henery son of Bengemen Streeter 9 Jan 1681/2 Bishops Waltham

Benjamin son of Benjamin Streeter 18 Sep 1711 Titchfield note in column "of Sidgenworth"
                                  Samuel son of Benjamin Streeter 29 Sep 1713 Titchfield.

Also checked marriages -

Bengemen Streeter and Frances Whicher 4 Sep 1676 Bishops Waltham
                                  Benjamin Streater and Frances Whicher 3 Sep 1676 Bramdean. Frances was buried in Bishops Waltham 11 Jan 1681 - presumably from childbirth for Henery.
                                  Bengeman Streeter and Martha Street Bishops Waltham 1 Sep 1685

Benjamin Streater and Mary Taylor Portsmouth St Thomas 4 Oct 1710.

Looking at the gap between them I would surmise that this is 2 different Benjamins. All names as in the transcriptions.
                                  Thanks for all of that. Have you any idea why there would be two marriage dates from 1676? That's the earliest date on the Streaters for me now.

Comment

Ozgirl,

Also, where are you sourcing all this information from? I'm just curious because most of my lines tail off in the late 18th century and here we are in the 17th.

Comment

There is a marriage document online for a William Streeter aged 24 yrs to Mary Smith date of marriage is 17/9/1739 Winnall Hampshire. Mary was from Farley Chamberlayne, Hampshire and was also 24 yrs.

This wedding is the day before Henry married, to a woman of the same name, and a mile from the centre of Winchester. So are we looking for a William Streeter born 1715?

Comment

Working...
                                      X