Ancestry Hint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Hint

this is the result of a hint I got for a Celia Knight born in Shoreditch , and having never left the country dying in Bethnal Green ,can anyone see the connection ?Celia Knight.jpg

is it just me but am getting some real rubbish on Ancestry lately
    Last edited by Guest; 01-12-17, 00:15.

I don't often follow up those hints ............

but it looks as good as the ones I used to get on Genes Reunited!

Like this one ...

Mary Smith
    Y.O.B: 1779
    Place: Launton, Oxfordshire
    Children: 4

with

Elizabeth Powell
    Y.O.B: 1685
    Place: Towcester, Northamptonshire
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

thats a good one I often look at hints as now and then I get a decent one.

Comment

I do look at hints too. Sometimes you get one from a database you were not aware of, which is good. Quite often you get ones like yours, Val. Gives me a laugh anyway!

In my case I have recently uploaded my trees to Ancestry and have used hints as a shortcut to the sources I have already previouly found. Then what REALLY annoys me is the very simple BMD or census hints that Ancestry does NOT come up with. I just go and find them again myself and attach them but why? They are easy to find and clearly obvious!
        Anne

Comment

Does seem daft Anne,
          Another thing I just noticed, it says New 1 Accepted 2 and Ignored 2, like to know who accepted them.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            I do look at hints too. Sometimes you get one from a database you were not aware of, which is good. Quite often you get ones like yours, Val. Gives me a laugh anyway!

In my case I have recently uploaded my trees to Ancestry and have used hints as a shortcut to the sources I have already previouly found. Then what REALLY annoys me is the very simple BMD or census hints that Ancestry does NOT come up with. I just go and find them again myself and attach them but why? They are easy to find and clearly obvious!
            Anne
            This is so annoying isn't it. I have noticed this happening only over the last few months even though you have put in the exact information that you know will be there. If searching from a person on my tree I sometimes turn the smart filtering off and get better results.

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            Does seem daft Anne,
            Another thing I just noticed, it says New 1 Accepted 2 and Ignored 2, like to know who accepted them.
            They are hints that you have accepted or ignored, Val - no-one else.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There was another thread on here recently about weird and wonderful ancestry hints and I can't resist posting the same info again for entertainment value - I can't see me ever getting a more bizarre hint:

I was doing an exact search this morning for family trees for a Walter Scantlebury with exact birth location England. Top results were for Schmucks in America and also included a tree featuring Alfonso the Slobberer, King of Leon in the 12th/13th century! What???

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Kat but I have not accepted that hint at all?
                Can anyone tell me why ,when searching the Electoral rolls, and I tick the exact name box for George Arthur Miller, I get pages of Arthur George Miller, its so frustrating.

Comment

Ah but Ancestry's idea of 'exact' is rather more flexible than ours! Very annoying.
                  Anne

Comment

Kat but I have not accepted that hint at all?
                    Can anyone tell me why ,when searching the Electoral rolls, and I tick the exact name box for George Arthur Miller, I get pages of Arthur George Miller, its so frustrating.
                    you might not have accepted that hint but other hints that are for that person are what you have accepted/ignored.

Am I the only person here that uses the hints and 99% of them are right!
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

yes Julie you are from my experience ;) I also find a lot of them I already have in my tree.

Comment

I keep getting hints which lead me back to my own work - photos I've uploaded - I crop a photo of just the face of my old pics or add one of a gravestone on my public tree which i'm fine about people copying but when they have a tree which syncs with FTM the accreditation of the photo is removed so it gets uploaded with the other tree owner's name. I now edit my name and the name of the subject onto any new photos I add so thier origin is carried with them.

The other annoying hints are for Findagrave where someone has lots of my Bottings but none of their graves, just a note eg died Horsham district 1852.

Comment

I have hints from other trees switched off. Then I do a search in case of finding nuggets ....
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

that happens to me on Ancestry too Jill, I get quite excited sometimes then realise its me.:( I hadn't thought to do that Caroline might try it.

Comment

yes Julie you are from my experience ;) I also find a lot of them I already have in my tree.
                              lol!

when I have found hints and they are already in my tree I just 'ignore' them on the hints page, guess I am just lucky that when my hints come up.. I don't go looking specifically for them just when I am on a family page on Ancestry and then click on person and hints I check all of them and ignore the ones that aren't relevant/already got and then add the others after checking. I am atm checking and adding like mad as my subs run out Christmas day..
                              Julie

Comment

Julie how will you live without it ? I do that too only look at people I am doing that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  whenI am atm checking and adding like mad as my subs run out Christmas day..
                                  Or could that be a hint for Christmas, just in case 'someone' reads this ;):D
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Julie how will you live without it ? I do that too only look at people I am doing that day.
                                    I will renew just gonna have a little break.

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    Or could that be a hint for Christmas, just in case 'someone' reads this ;):D
                                    nah, that'd be too easy...lol
                                    Julie

Comment

Working...
                                    X