Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amy Fountain b 1887

Help please,

I am trying to trace the marriage of my great Aunt Amy Fountain b Dec. 1887. She was born at Newton Kyme with Toulston which was a Rural District of Tadcaster Yorkshire.
    Her Father was Richard Fountain
    Her Mother was Emma Ann Kidd
    The 1911 census puts her in York working as a Parlour Maid in Clifton, York.

Any information would be most helpful

kind Regards

Anthony Suter

First name(s) Amy
    Last name Fountain
    Birth year 1887
    Birth date 03 Nov 1887
    Event year 1893
    School name Newton Kyme Church Of England School
    Town Newton Kyme
    County Yorkshire
    Country England
    Parent name(s) Richard & Emma
    Book type Admissions
    Archive reference S_NTK_2_1
    Folio / page no. 7
    Archive North Yorkshire County Record Office
    Record set National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914

Comment

there are two Amy Fountain born in Yorkshire, one in 1887 and one in 1888
      there is a death for an Amy Fountain in 1928 aged 40 in Dewsbury Yorkshire, could this be her ?,

Comment

OR
        Amy Fountain marriage in Holbeck Yorkshire in 1908 to John Samuel Bailey.

OR
        Amy marriage in York in 1912 to Alfred Clark.

Comment

Also Amy Fountain marriage in Sheffield in 1912 to Harold Wild
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

If she was a parlour maid in York in 1911, then it would seem that the 1908 Holbeck marriage can be ruled out.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Janet,
              Thank you for your quick reply, I am almost certain that Amy's marriage in 1912 to Alfred Clark is the one as I had found it earlier but not being sure I did a posting on Family Tree Forum.
              The 1911 Census shows Alfred Clark's address as living in Holgate York which is only about a mile from Clifton York where Amy was a Parlour Maid.
              I will do more research into this.

Thank you again for your help

Kind Regards

Tony Suter

Comment

Hello Sylvia,
                Thank you also for your quick reply, I think that Amy's marriage to Alfred Clark in 1912 is the one. I have the 1911 census which shows Alfred's home address as being in Holgate York which is only about a mile from where Amy worked as a Parlour Maid so I will do more research into this.

Thank You again for your help

Kind Regards

Tony Suter

Comment

Hello Janet H,
                  Thank you for your quick reply, the Amy that I am researching is the one born 1887. There is a marriage to Alfred Clark in 1912 which seems quite likely. I have checked the 1911 census for Alfred and it shows him as living in Holgate York which is only about a mile from where Amy worked as a Parlour Maid so I will do more research into this.
                  Thank you again for your help.

Kind Regards

Tony Suter

Comment

This is the only Amy Clark death born 1887 I can find - Amy Clark - Death Age 88 - Birth Date 12 Dec 1887 - Registration Date Sep 1976 - Registration district Scarborough - County North Yorkshire - Volume 2 - Page 2095
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 01-12-17, 20:33.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      This is the only Amy Clark death born 1887 I can find - Amy Clark - Death Age 88 - Birth Date 12 Dec 1887 - Registration Date Sep 1976 - Registration district Scarborough - County North Yorkshire - Volume 2 - Page 2095
                      That lady appears in Scarborough in 1939, but as single, living with a John Clark, also single.

I've had several tries at this, with no success. I am wondering if Arthur Clark served in WW1 and perhaps died (or died relatively young) and Amy remarried???
                      Tony, do you have any other snippets about Amy? I looked on freeBMD for Clark children with mmn Fountain 1912 and found some, born Ware, also one or two others. The trouble is, there were one or two other Mr Clarks who married a spouse with the surname Fountain. A forename of a child, or place of residence post marriage would help.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Above post should have stated children born 1912 onwards. And I meant Alfred Clark, NOT Arthur! (can't read my own writing)

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-12-17, 22:49.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

For reference, the Alfred Clark and Amy Fountain marriage was registered in Q2 1912. I haven't found it in Yorkshire marriages.

Jay
                          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-12-17, 23:19.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

This is from Yorkshire bmd .........

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1912

FOUNTAIN Amy CLARK Alfred Wesley Chapel, York York WESC/3/13
                            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Good to know the venue of the marriage, but I had been hoping to find an image of a marriage register entry and view the names of the fathers of both parties, to verify we had the right couple.

Very much a long shot, but I wonder if Amy and Alfred emigrated ???

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hello Chrissie,

Thank you for all your help, I have now got the info. regarding Amy Fountain and Alfred Clark which I would like to share with you.

Amy Fountain d 29th Aug. 1976 at Manor Gardens, Scarborough.
                                Her Husband Alfred Clark was Baptised on 18th May at the New Street Chapel, York.
                                In the 1911 census he is recorded as working on the Railway's.
                                His actual date of birth was 21st April 1890 and he died 11th Sept, 1973 at Oak Royds Lane, Rothwell, Leeds Yorkshire.
                                I am now researching for any children that they may have had?

Thank you again for all your help

Kind Regards

Tony

Comment

Hello Janet,

Thank you for all your help with my posting. I have now got the info. regarding Amy Fountain and Alfred Clark which I would like to share with you all.

Amy and George were married at the Wesley Chapel in York July. Aug. Sept.1912 Vol.9d Page 159.
                                  Amy Fountain died 29th Aug. 1976 at Manor Gardens Scarborough.
                                  Her Husband Alfred Clark was Baptised on 18th May 1890 at the New Street Chapel York.
                                  In the 1911 census he is recorded as working on the Railway's.
                                  His actual date of birth was 21st April 1890and he died 11th Sept.1973 at Oak Royds Lane, Rothwell,. Leeds Yorkshire.
                                  I have so far not found any info. regarding Children.

Thank You all again for all your help.

Kind Regards

Tony

Comment

Tony I am still concerned that the Amy Clark who died in Scarborough in 1976 may not have been the same Amy Clark as the wife of Alfred and born Amy Fountain, the lady you seek.
                                    You quote "Amy Fountain" (I'm assuming you mean the name at death was Amy Clark?) as dying 29 August 1976 - the death registration for this lady gave her date of birth as 12 December 1887.

This is the lady I found living in Scarborough in 1939 - Amy Clark, single, dob 12 Dec 1887, living at 59 Peasholm Drive with John A Clark, also single, dob 5 Feb 1881. (There was one other person living with them, widowed Annie Scott, born 1876.)

In post 2 of this thread Janet H reported that the date of birth given for your Amy Fountain in her school admissions record was 3 November 1887 so, a discrepancy of birth dates between school admission & presumed death cert.

I think the couple in Scarborough in 1939 were brother and sister, neither of them having married. Here they are in 1891:

I think there could be confusion of two different women??

Jay
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 02-12-17, 17:25.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've just found this - National probate calendar index :
                                      John Andrew Clark of 37 Manor Gardens, Scarborough, died 13 March1966 - probate to Amy Clark, spinster

Amy Clark of 37 Manor Gardens, Scarborough, died 29 August 1976

This would seem to reaffirm my thinking that Amy Clark was a Miss, not Mrs, and the sister of John Clark. It looks like they had probably lived in Scarborough from the 1930's until their deaths.
                                      I really do not think she is your Amy Fountain. However, it is your tree, not mine, and it is up to you to weigh up all the findings and to judge accordingly!

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                      X