Francis Dunne!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis Dunne!!!!

According to 1939 WW2 Register below, Francis Dunne's DOB was 16 Jun 1903 but I can't find a birth registration anywhere for him.

130 Cambridge Road Willesden.
    Francis Dunne DOB 16 Jun 1903 General Labourer H.Work
    Catherine Dunne DOB 10 Jun 1904.Unpaid Domestic Duties
    Mary Carmel Dunne DOB 21 Jul 1921 at School (Birth Cert DOB 20 Jul 1929)
    Name removed at School..Can't find a death for him. Maybe it shouldn't be showing!!!

Marriage: 16 Jul 1928 at RC Pro Cathedral, Dublin, Ireland
    Francis Dunne, 25, Bachelor, (born c.1903) Cycle Mechanic of Portobelle Barracks. Father John Dunne, Motor Mechanic
    Spouse: Catherine Doyle 24 Spinster. Father Thomas Doyle Labourer
    Witnesses: J O’Sullivan John, & Mary McCanley?
    Francis Dunne Died 15 May 1946 aged 42. C Dunne, Widow was the informant

Catherine Dunne, 47, Widow of 156 Kilburn Park Road N.W.6
    Spouse: James Egan, 35, Bachelor, Builders Labourer. Father: James Egan Retired Naval Officer.
    Catherine Egan Died 19 Feb 1977 at St. Mary’s Hospital Harrow Rd, Paddington London. Home address: 71 Bronte House, Cambridge Road London N.W.6
    Death Certificate States her DOB as 10 June 1904, Eire. Maiden name of Doyle

If anyone can help with this family, just incase I've been tracing the wrong one, I would be soo grateful.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 24-01-18, 17:00. Reason: living person's name removed
    teresa

maybe under the name Frank ?
    Dunne Frank Ernest Mother Whittle
    1903 J Quarter in St Giles Volume 01B Page 590

Comment

I was wondering if there was reason to suggest he was irish born? As val points out, there would be a few english options.
      Last edited by kylejustin; 23-11-17, 06:36.

Comment

In 1911 this looks like the Frank Ernest Dunne that Val found born St Giles. He is under the name Francis and is an Inmate at St Vincents R C) School, Mill Hill N W -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The closest Francis Dunne birth is Sept 1907 Croydon 2a 254, bu the registration services page is down for maintenance, so can't check that ones MMN.

Comment

Unfortunately there are several other options possible. This one for instance, on his father war record but born 31st August 1905 - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=2352

Sorry - scrap that one - I see now that you have his fathers name as John.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-11-17, 08:56.

Comment

There is this one with a father John in Ireland - http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...cloney/792490/

Comment

I thought this query rang bells. Earlier thread here: https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...place-of-birth

In particular, posts 5 and 6 point to all the younger children including Francis being born in Co Kerry. Seee 1911 census link in post 5. I think the consensus was that his birth unfortunately wasn't registered or is missing from what has been uploaded/digitised on irishgenealogy.ie.

Christine
                Last edited by Karamazov; 23-11-17, 13:58.
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Yes that is the family I've been fiollowing on the Irish census records.

1901 Ireland Census
                  Residents of a house 2 in Chapel Lane (Tralee Urban, Kerry
                  John Dunne, 32, (c.1869) Head, RC born Dublin City, Cycle Mechanic.
                  Mary Dunne, 32, (c.1869) Wife RC born Co. Wicklow
                  James Dunne, 8, son RC born England, Scholar c.1893
                  Annie Dunne, 6 dau, RC, born England, Scholar c.1895
                  John Dunne, 4, son, RC, born England, Scholar c.1897
                  George Dunne, 3, son. RC, born England c.1898
                  Mary Dunne, 1, dau, RC, born County Kerry c.1900
                  Kevin Dunne, 1month son, RC born County Kerry 1901

1911 Ireland Census
                  Residents of a house 1 in Russell Street (Tralee Urban {part of} Kerry)
                  John Dunne, 43, (c.1868) Head, RC born Co.Dublin, Cycle Mechanic Married.
                  Mary Dunne, 45, (c.1866) Wife RC born Co. Wicklow
                  Annie Dunne, 16 dau, RC, born England, Dressmaker c.1895
                  John Dunne, 14, son, RC, born England, Cycle Mechanic c.1897
                  Mary Dunne, 12, dau, RC, born Co. Kerry, Scholar c.1899
                  Kevin Dunne, 10 son RC born Co. Kerry Scholar c.1901
                  Francis Dunne, 8, son RC, born Co. Kerry, Scholar c.1903
                  Joseph Dunne, 4, son, RC born Co. Kerry c.1907
                  1911 Ireland Census states they have been married for 21 years, (c.1890) had 8 children and 8 still alive.

I'm sure this is their marriage
                  Marriage 27 Dec 1891 in RC Church Rathgar, Rathmines, Co. Dublin
                  Aaron John Dunne, Full age, Bachelor, Soldier, of 12 Kevin Street Lower. Father Gideon Dunne Locksmith.
                  Spouse: Mary Foley, Full age, spinster, Domestic Servant of 88 Kenilworth Square.
                  Father James Foley, Stonemason.
                  Witnesses John Kennedy & Mary Cruise. Both signed with an X

Converts to R.C. Faith before his marriage.

Name: Aron John Dunn
                  Baptism Age: 21
                  Event Type: Baptism
                  Birth Date: 5 Oct 1870
                  Baptism Date: 5 Dec 1891
                  Baptism Place: Rathmines, Dublin city, Dublin, Ireland
                  Residence Place: Staffordshire Willenhall
                  Parish Variants: Rathmines
                  Diocese: Dublin
                  Father: Gideon Dunn
                  Mother: Annie Lyster

Christening Record.
                  Name: Aaron John Dunn
                  Baptism Date: 1870
                  Baptism Place: St. Giles', Willenhall, Stafford, England
                  Father: Gideon Dunn
                  Mother: Ann

It seems that he dropped his name of Aaron and went by the name of JOHN as none of his children born in ireland have his father's name of Aaron John Dunne.
                  teresa

Comment

I'm not sure that the RC church would have welcomed/recognised the forename Aaron. I think it has Jewish origins - certainly not a saint's name, as far as I know. Perhaps this is why the name was dropped? As he was bp into the Anglican faith when a baby, I wonder if there is any RC church record for a later bp/confirmation ceremony when he converted? (I remember attending a ceremony when friend's father converted to the RC faith in later life. He added a saint's name to his forenames and was anointed with oil - it was a bit like a baptism and confirmation combined.)

I was hoping to find a military record for Aaron John, but no luck so far. As an aside, between the Crimean War and WW1, each regiment in the British army underwent training sessions at the Curragh Camp - I have a couple of soldiers who married Irish girls during their postings there. I wonder if there is any list of which regiments were posted there at various times - might help with identifying AJ.

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-11-17, 18:54.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Here's another one to add to the births on the other thread

DUNN, JAMES GIDEON FOLEY
                      GRO Reference: 1893 M Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 08C/909
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Teresa,
                        I agree re the 1891 marriage being Francis's parents. Going back to (Aaron) John's parents - despite what he says in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses, he was not born in Dublin but in England, father Gideon Dunn, mother Ann/Annie Lester.

The surname spelling of DUNN is consistent through all these English records.
                        He's in the 1871 and 1881 English censuses (the Aaron has been dropped by 1881). See assorted baptisms for him and a slew of siblings plus the 1871 and 1881 censuses here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/...venname%3AAnn~

His birth was registered in Wolverhampton:
                        Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
                        DUNN, ARON JOHN LESTER
                        GRO Reference: 1870 D Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON Volume 06B Page 517

Other siblings:

DUNN, ELLEN ELIZABETH LESTER Order
                        GRO Reference: 1872 S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON Volume 06B Page 573

DUNN, ARTHUR CHARLES LESTER
                        GRO Reference 1874 J Quarter WOLVERHAMPTON Volume 06B Page 639

DUNN, ALFRED HENRY LESTER Order
                        GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON Volume 06B Page 656

Gideon Dunn's marriage to Annie Lester was registered in 1870 Q3 WOLVERHAMPTON 6b 586.

DUNN, EDWARD LESTER Order
                        GRO Reference: 1878 M Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON Volume 06B Page 634

Christine
                        Last edited by Karamazov; 23-11-17, 21:32.
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

The first crop of results on this page down to the first result under the blue bar part way down the page all pertain to Gideon Dunn.

To summarise some of the main info arising:
                          Annie (Lester) Dunn dies some time between 1881 and 1889 when Gideon marries again, to Mary Bristow, takes on several stepchildren and also starts a second family.
                          Gideon's father's name was Aaron.
                          The Staffordshire Parish Register records are viewable as images if you have a findmypast sub.

Christine

Postscript: Annie's death

First name(s) ANNIE
                          Last name DUNN
                          Gender Female
                          Birth day -
                          Birth month -
                          Birth year 1844
                          Age 39
                          Death quarter 4
                          Death year 1883
                          District Wolverhampton
                          County Staffordshire
                          Volume 6B
                          Page 366
                          Country England
                          Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
                          Category Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)
                          Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
                          Collections from United Kingdom, England
                          Last edited by Karamazov; 23-11-17, 21:57.
                          Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                            I'm not sure that the RC church would have welcomed/recognised the forename Aaron. I think it has Jewish origins - certainly not a saint's name, as far as I know. Perhaps this is why the name was dropped? As he was bp into the Anglican faith when a baby, I wonder if there is any RC church record for a later bp/confirmation ceremony when he converted? (I remember attending a ceremony when friend's father converted to the RC faith in later life. He added a saint's name to his forenames and was anointed with oil - it was a bit like a baptism and confirmation combined.)

I was hoping to find a military record for Aaron John, but no luck so far. As an aside, between the Crimean War and WW1, each regiment in the British army underwent training sessions at the Curragh Camp - I have a couple of soldiers who married Irish girls during their postings there. I wonder if there is any list of which regiments were posted there at various times - might help with identifying AJ.

Jay
                            You could well be correct about his name of Aaron, I didn't know it was a Jewish name. That would explain why he's only named as John on the childrens birth certificates. I couln't find any military info on an Aaron John Dunne or John Dunne either. that could be him.

My english grandmother was Baptised into the Catholic faith in Bristol before she married my Grandfather which I found on line back last year. She could well have been confirmed at the same time too, but no records for that.
                            teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                              The first crop of results on this page down to the first result under the blue bar part way down the page all pertain to Gideon Dunn.

To summarise some of the main info arising:
                              Annie (Lester) Dunn dies some time between 1881 and 1889 when Gideon marries again, to Mary Bristow, takes on several stepchildren and also starts a second family.
                              Gideon's father's name was Aaron.
                              The Staffordshire Parish Register records are viewable as images if you have a findmypast sub.

Christine

Postscript: Annie's death

First name(s) ANNIE
                              Last name DUNN
                              Gender Female
                              Birth day -
                              Birth month -
                              Birth year 1844
                              Age 39
                              Death quarter 4
                              Death year 1883
                              District Wolverhampton
                              County Staffordshire
                              Volume 6B
                              Page 366
                              Country England
                              Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
                              Category Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)
                              Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
                              Collections from United Kingdom, England
                              Thanks for all the info on the English side of the Dunn family Christine.
                              teresa

Comment

Hello teresa,

I am new to this sight. I signed up yesterday when I happened to come across you post while searching some names in Google I was excited to see you post and wanted to reply as soon as i could. I am actually the granddaughter of Mary Carmel Dunne (Married name Shudell).

One thing that i can tell you is the DOB for Francis Dunne is incorrect. The year he was born is 1904. Maybe that will help in your search. Also, name removed, is still alive. I am interested to see how far back you were able to go. I have a family tree that belonged to my grandmother, but it only goes back as far as Thomas Dunne, Francis father.
                                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 24-01-18, 17:02. Reason: living person's name removed

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Find My Past are at fault for showing you living relative's name, which I have removed from both posts in accordance with this forum's terms and conditions.

Comment

Working...
                                  X