Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union

I've always assumed that Birth and Death certificates where the district states ....Union, eg Stepney Union, Poplar Union, means that the event took place in the respective Workhouse. I have just received one such certificate registered by Stepney Union but the place of death is the person's home address.

Was I wrong in my assumption or is it that this last certificate suggests that the subject died whilst receiving medical care under the aegis of the local Poor Law Guardians?

Districts were at one time the same area that the Union covered, it was just a handy administrative description. It does not mean your ancestor was in the workhouse.

The wording on birth and death certificates was changed sometime in the early 20th century and "workhouse" no longer appeared, just a street address. This was because of the universal stigma of being born or dying in the workhouse. If you google the address on the certificate this will quickly tell you whether it was a workhouse or other type of institution.

Edit - sorry, just seen you have said the person died at their home address, so not in the workhouse.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 16-11-17, 08:06.

Comment

Just reflects the original name of many registration districts when they were first set up ....nothing to do with the workhouse as OC says.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
      X