GRO index error reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO index error reporting

I've just found the place on the new GRO indexes where you can see the status of your error reports. Quite interested to see that they have updated the majority of the ones I reported. They were mostly completely missing entries.

HOWEVER .... some of my reports (which I checked on the image of the pages on FreeBMD and told the GRO I had checked the image) say "Investigated – No amendment required". I can see the entry on the page image but they apparently cannot!

I know there are different versions of the BMD indexes but this presumably means that the one used by FreeBMD is more complete than the one in use by the GRO themselves?? Or did the checker just not look very hard?

Anne

Depends what the error you have found is .... the GRO indexes have been compiled from their register copies, not using the old paper index, and they both use slightly different indexing rules (particularity in the way unmarried parent entries are indexed and also how maiden names are shown, so the two versions not matching isn't necessarily an error.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Mainly it was missing entries (exist on the FreeBMD image but they don't appear on the GRO index)
      Also a couple of forenames which were clearly visible on the FreeBMD image and appeared as something different on the GRO one. One, if I remember correctly, was Louisa on the FreeBMD image and appeared as Lucy on the GRO index. Perhaps it had been altered at a later date? (although the person appears as Louisa on the following census!!)

Anne

Comment

Working...
      X