maybe a daft question but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe a daft question but

I have noticed quite a few in my tree name their children after siblings, would you say it was quite common ? as I may have found a man ,I am looking for on that other post ,with children.
    I have two options ,one has 3 sons with the same names as his siblings,another has children ,but their names are completely different.
    Thanks

It used to be very common. My parents' families are like that at their generation and earlier ones.

Comment

thats what I'm thinking, although I suppose it depends a lot on what names were popular at the time.

Comment

I have lots in my family that do that...gets *really* confusing too trying to put which Thomas or John with the 'right' parents!.. though as I get nearer and nearer to the 1911 census the family names do begin to drop off somewhat and more 'popular' names are beginning to arrive.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sometimes the child was named after a godparent, who was often a family member - hence the repetition of names amongst first cousins.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It was common in Scotland to put the mother's maiden name as a middle name.

I have one family where all the 12 children have their father's family names as middle names including step relatives but none of their mother's side lol.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi, Sometimes in Scotland when a child dies in infancy or childhood it was common for the parents' to name another child born to them the name of the child who had passed away. In my family for instance my Grandfather had a brother who died in infancy called Hugh, in fact there were three little ones born all called Hugh and all died in infancy. As to my own name there is a Dorothy in the last three generations and a John in the last 4 all lived long lives. My Grandfather had a son whom he called Hugh who died in infancy in 1911. He always said after that the name Hugh was unlucky. Have a look and see if you can find a death certificate for any of the children.
              Dossie

Comment

Agree with Dossie on the keeping going with a forename after one child dies. It was actually pretty normal especially the further north you go in Scotland.
                And just to make things even more confusing, on the Isle of Skye it was not that unusual to have two children both alive with the same forename. OH's family have two Normans surviving into adulthood. Often the children would be known in the family buy a nickname or they might have been given different middle names.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-11-17, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                  It was common in Scotland to put the mother's maiden name as a middle name.

I have one family where all the 12 children have their father's family names as middle names including step relatives but none of their mother's side lol.
                  Agree with this too. My mother's grandmother was Helen Henderson. Mother's mother was Helen Henderson Mitchell. Mother had Mitchell as her middle name as did one of her brothers. A sister had Henderson as hers. On the other side father's mother was Christina McCall. So another sister had the forenames Christina McCall. One of mother's brothers had loads of children and the same thing happened there.
                  In that side of my family we have an abundance of James, Samuel, John and William. On Dad's side it's James, Thomas, John and William.

Comment

Hi Grandfather lived inland from Helmsdale in Sutherlandshire in the Highlands of Scotland which is nearly as far north as you can go without falling off the edge.

Comment

thanks for all the responses, I do have quite a few where a baby dies ,and they name the next one after it, and for adults to name children after siblings, thought it might help me narrow it down.

Comment

My Scottish lines follow all the above mentioned patterns....use of MMN as a middle name, Scottish/Irish naming patterns (1st son names for paternal g.f, 2nd son named for maternal gf etc), re-using names where earlier children died and a family in Skye with two Johns, co-existing siblings.

However, you don't need to go as far north for examples, as my Pinker family from Box, Wilts used 'Emma' three times in the one family before they had a survivor....perhaps because they modified the name to 'Emmeline'. That family also had siblings John Thomas and Thomas

Beverley

Comment

think they did it to confuse us;)

Comment

Indeed,Val.
                            I'm researching the men on on our village war memorial. One of them was illegitimate and given the forenames William Edward. His mother later married and WE took the surname of his stepfather Mr S; stepfather and mother had several children, one of whom was William (just!) S.
                            On my tree I have a family who named three of their daughters Ann Eliza (Annie) Elizabeth (Lizzie) and Eliza (Liza.) All three reached adulthood.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

When I first started this I used to get quite confused, and thought maybe they had registered them twice.

Comment

I have noticed over the past 20 or so years. There are much less parents calling their sons and John. Thomas, Robert and James. I have noticed a trend for children to be called on their birth certificate by the shortened version of their name. James becomes Jim, Robert - Rob, Bob and Thomas - Tom. and new names cropping up like Logan, Finn Etc.
                                Dossie
                                Last edited by Dossie; 07-11-17, 20:09.

Comment

James is my family name, my son is James, my father was James, my grandfather was James, and every grandfather back to the 1700's was, yeap you guessed it, was also called James, my grandson has James as a middle name, yes confused.com was me when I first started out on the trail...wasn't easy I can tell you, even now I get confused if I find something new, I wonder.'now which James is that!!!!........:o;)

Lilly

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
                                    James is my family name, my son is James, my father was James, my grandfather was James, and every grandfather back to the 1700's was, yeap you guessed it, was also called James, my grandson has James as a middle name, yes confused.com was me when I first started out on the trail...wasn't easy I can tell you, even now I get confused if I find something new, I wonder.'now which James is that!!!!........:o;)

Lilly
                                    have you moved?
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                      When I first started this I used to get quite confused, and thought maybe they had registered them twice.
                                      me too, but now we know better eh Val?

Originally posted by Dossie View Post
                                      I have noticed over the past 20 or so years. There are much less parents calling their sons and John. Thomas, Robert and James. I have noticed a trend for children to be called on their birth certificate by the shortened version of their name. James becomes Jim, Robert - Rob, Bob and Thomas - Tom. and new names cropping up like Logan, Finn Etc.
                                      Dossie
                                      I feel quite sad for the younger generation now being stuck with really awful 'out there' names. Pretty soon the more usual names will have died out altogether. Granted my children have uncommon names but they aren't that unusual. [though my sons name has become very popular again and it's not so much unusual now]

I do like the biblical names Isaac, Elijah, Reuben, Abraham, Ezekiel, Isiah. [but that's just me :smilee: ]
                                      Julie

Comment

Yes Lily

James is the favourite in OH's family on all sides with only a Thomas in 1830 (his father was James born 1799, though his father was Hugh) bucking the trend. So what is my eldest son called yes James and his eldest son yes James again lol. My other sons have middle name James as does my eldest son's other son. lol. Daughter has bucked the system with only her youngest son having James as a middle name. lol
                                        Last edited by JBee; 08-11-17, 08:09.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                        X