William Cubitt b c 1880

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Cubitt b c 1880

I'm looking for the birth and death of my Grandmother's brother William Cubitt
    Born c 1880 - 1884 Yarmouth according to 1891 - 1911 censuses.
    RG12; Piece: 1501; Folio: 57; Page: 29 as Willie Cubitt b 1882 with Aunt Mary Ann Harrison
    RG13; Piece: 1817; Folio: 12; Page: 16 as William Cubitt b 1884 with ditto
    RG14; Piece: 11088; Schedule Number: 215 b 1882 with his mother Laura Cubitt

I think I have found him on School Admissions 1892 - birth date given as 25 Jun 1880 but mother's name given as Laura Dorrington? living Moat Rd, Yarmouth. ( In 1891 William was with his Aunt Mary Ann Harrison in Moat Road)
    As Laura never married I cannot understand why Dorrington? - it's not even a corruption of any name in the family.
    I suppose at a push it could be half his mum - Laura and half a corruption of his aunt Harrison??? Some confusion during registration maybe?

1892 school entry Wm Cubitt.jpg

William was the informant for his mother's death in 1913 and gave his address as 23 Higher Ormond Street, Chorlton Upon Medlock, Manchester.
    I cannot see him on the 1839 register and cannot find a death.

Laura was born in Catfield but moved to Yarmouth. I cannot find William's birth but his sister Annie Bertha Cubitt was born in Norwich 1890.

The other thing is if William was born in 1880 I should have been able to find him on 1881 census but Laura is visiting (friends possibly) in Yarmouth with no child and I cannot see him anywhere.

Just to throw another name into the mix, Laura on all 1861 to 1911 censuses has the surname Cubitt but she was actually Registered and baptised as Laura Cubitt Sharman. The Sharman surname was dropped by 1861 census by her parents but that's another story. I have looked for William using Sharman too - just in case!
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-11-17, 00:25. Reason: addition
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Kat

Just to let you know I have had a look for you but got nowhere.

On FMP there are 7 school admissions with births from 1879 -1882. There is the one you found and some with father William and one with father Robert. Also army records from WW1 for a William Cubitt in Norfolk but born Scarborough.

Sorry.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thank you Lin. Yes I have seen those but have followed through with the families and they are not mine. I am 99% sure that one with mother Laura is mine as the address is correct but the birth date of 1880 conflicts with the censuses. I am thinking Laura was maybe too frightened to register the birth and the child was brought up by her aunt. She did register the 2nd illegitimate one 10 years later.
      Kat

Comment

I've had no success either, but just wanted to add that I have come across quite a lot of "wrong" dates of birth in the school records. I also think you could be onto something re the name of the guardian - had the aunt had children of her own at that school, or would she have been an "unknown" to the head?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

could he have been William E Cubitt

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            I've had no success either, but just wanted to add that I have come across quite a lot of "wrong" dates of birth in the school records. I also think you could be onto something re the name of the guardian - had the aunt had children of her own at that school, or would she have been an "unknown" to the head?

Jay
            No because she was his great Aunt - her children were older and can't see them on the school records

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            could he have been William E Cubitt
            No, Val have followed William E through. As far as I can see he didn't have a middle name.

Thanks all for looking - most appreciated.
            Kat

Comment

I took a look at William and wondered about this one. I note that Robert Harrison in his will mentioned a William Harrison. Wonder if there was a connection with Robert and your William Cubitt. William I note lived in Manchester at the time of Laura's death. Desperation creeping in. Couldn't see him at all in the GRO births.

Vera

Comment

I love you Vera LOL.
                William lived with his Aunt and cousin Robert Melton Harrison for at least 20 years from his birth c1882. Despite the fact that Robert lived and died Acle and Great Yarmouth his probate was Manchester where William was living. Looks like William was brought back to Yarmouth after his death in Manchester for burial.
                Although William gave the name Cubitt on his mother's death cert in 1913 it could be he was actually calling himself Harrison after the name of the family he was brought up with. Wiil work on those lines now Vera to see what else comes up
                Thank you.
                Kat

Comment

Update:This is the burial you found Vera:
                  William Harrison
                  Birth Date: abt 1882
                  Death Date: abt 1964
                  Death Place: Withington Hospital Manchester
                  Burial Date: 19 Jun 1964
                  Burial Place: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England

I sent for the death Certificate which arrived today.

William Harrison 10th June 1964 age 82 (b 1882) of 15 Emery Avenue Manchester died Withington Hospital - Occ Bookbinder retired. Informant was E Meadowcroft, step daughter of 33 Sandileigh Ave, Hale, Cheshire.
                  I found him on 1939 register living at the same address -15 Emery Avenue - born 24 Jun 1880 (not 1882)married, Occ: Carton Box Machine-Minder together with Phoebe Harrison born 12 Dec 1875 married.

Gt Yarmouth School Admissions 1892 for my William Cubitt gave his birth date as 25 Jun 1880

The informant E Meadowcroft step daughter I found on 1939 reg and she luckily was living at the same address as on William's death cert - in Hale - husband was Elijah
                  Elijah Meadowcroft m Elizabeth Miller Manchester 1935
                  Elizabeth Miller, mmn AUSTIN b 1905 Chorlton
                  Phoebe Austin married Thomas Miller Chorlton 1898
                  Thomas Miller died 1907 Chorlton, wife Phoebe on 1911 census as widow.
                  Phoebe Miller married William Harrison Sept 1919

I cannot prove it but I feel this William Harrison is my William Cubitt. Why if he had spent his early life in Manchester and died there would he be buried in Gt Yarmouth right over the other side of the country? I know my William Cubitt didn't move to Manchester until after 1911. I think he wanted to be buried here with his family -ie his aunt Mary Ann Harrison and family that he lived with for 20 odd years.
                  I guess I will have to buy the marriage cert to see who he puts as his father. His mother, my Great Grandmother never married.
                  Anyone have any thoughts or am I clutching at straws?
                  Kat

Comment

The only thing I can think that supports this being your William is records of the dob ie June 1880 when given by mother Laura for school and same given by William in 1939.

The informant of William's death ties in with the 1939 record of William m to a Phoebe.

Where did he get his dob from I wonder? Maybe found info after mother's death. I checked FMP Civil Service evidence of age but not in there.

Now I've confused myself! Think any more evidence available ie mc or maybe the Will of Robert Harrison may help?

Vera
                    Last edited by vera2013; 10-04-18, 10:10.

Comment

Just noticed that Robert Melton Harrison is buried in Section A grave 415 Gt Yarmouth cemetery as is that William Harrison who died 1964.

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 10-04-18, 10:24.

Comment

ooh thanks for that Vera. I have Roberts Burial notice but hadn't clicked re the grave number being the same duh!. That just about clinches it for me. Robert would have been about 18 when William came to live with them as a baby. As Robert never married it looks like he kept a look out for his younger cousin. I have searched out all the other William Harrison within Roberts family and cannot see another that would fit. I have sent for his marriage cert mainly out of curiosity re his father's name.
                        I have been looking for this man for at least 20 years. My dad was only 8 when his mother Annie (William's sister) died and had been searching in Norwich for a while for his mother's family before he himself died. I took over the search and have gone back now a long way with all the necessary certs etc. William was the main mystery and I think at last we have finally nailed it. I'm really grateful for your help. As per usual FTF comes up trumps.
                        Kat

Comment

Well done everyone.

Love it when everything comes together.
                          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Does look like it's your William Cubitt. Obviously well loved by his Uncle. It's a shame your Dad didn't find him but not the records then as is now. Hopefully the mc will confirm, 'previously k/a Cubitt' would be nice.

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 10-04-18, 20:10.

Comment

It was way back in about 2004 after I joined GR from Friends Reunited and one of our founder members for this site found my Great Gran Laura Cubitt had been baptised as Laura Cubitt Sharman. Her parents later dropped the name Sharman in favour of Cubitt. Looks like William carried on the family tradition of changing names! So glad to have found him at last. (finger's crossed re the mc)
                              Kat

Comment

I received Will of Robert Melton and Death cert of William but there are no further clues as to his possible name of Cubitt. The marriage cert gives father as William Harrison deceased - a fish merchant. I can find no fish merchant amongst any of my Harrison family.
                                I found this will for William Harrison died 1964 Withington Hospital Manchester.

will 1964.JPG

Can someone tell me what this might mean please?
                                Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                  I received Will of Robert Melton and Death cert of William but there are no further clues as to his possible name of Cubitt. The marriage cert gives father as William Harrison deceased - a fish merchant. I can find no fish merchant amongst any of my Harrison family.
                                  I found this will for William Harrison died 1964 Withington Hospital Manchester.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18865[/ATTACH]

Can someone tell me what this might mean please?
                                  Its part of the Bona Vacantia rules. If someone dies in Lancashire with no heirs and no will then instead of the treasury their money goes to the Duchy of Lancaster, similarly in Cornwall the state goes to the Duchy of Cornwall to be administered. In Lancashire the money passes to the Duchy of Lancaster Jubilee Trust Fund and in Cornwall it passes to the Duke of Cornwall Benevolent Fund.
                                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith - not worth buying that one then! I think I have come to a standstill now :( Thanks everyone for your help
                                    Kat

Comment

Shame that William's cash went to the Government. Maybe he thought any monies would go to family as is often the case.

Was Laura Cubitt the niece of Mary Ann Harrison Nee Watts. I'm seeing Charles F Cubitt with a Watts family as Son in Law but no likely d on census.

Vera
                                      Last edited by vera2013; 18-04-18, 21:48.

Comment

Working...
                                      X