Advice on Grant without will search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Grant without will search

Not sure if this is the right place but wonder if anyone knows about what details are on a grant without will . My father in law died in 2002 and I did a search on probate and found that my now late mother in law received a grant as my father in law did not have a will . I know that all his assets passed to my mother in law as I helped her with the admin at the time . We wondered if we buy a copy of the grant what details will it show ? Sadly my husband has begun the process of applying for probate for my mother in law as he is executor of her will . The IHT form to transfer my late father in law' s nil rate band to my mother in law has a space for what assets did the first deceased of the couple leave . We have no idea as once my mother in law had the grant she was able to just transfer funds herself and there is no paperwork from this .
    I just thought someone might have some experience of this

Thanks for looking
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

The grant won't show anything unfortunately, other than a "less than" (inheritance tax threshold at the time) amount. The grant is just a piece of paper giving someone permission to administer an estate.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that OC .It will help if it just says the amount was below the nil rate band which weare sure was the case .
      Liz

Comment

Apropos of nothing, I'm doing a mass shredding prior to moving house. I've just found my father's will and probate (1997), which I think I'll keep. The pile of papers relating to house and land sale is now shredded.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Amazing how much sorting has to be done when you move house . My late dad was a police officer and we moved house every time he was promoted so that was at least 5 times ! I think some things were lost on each move . Either that or our parents took it as an opportunity to have a ruthless sort out of our stuff .
          Good luck with your move
          Liz

Comment

I've now found a big box of maternal family photos that I rescued from my father's house and stuck in the loft 20 years ago. The only reliable informant would be my mother, who died in 1980.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X