Braintree ,Mass, USA Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braintree ,Mass, USA Death

My 2nd Gt Uncle Robert Lock b 1854 Ipswich emigrated to USA via Canada in 1873 (where he married Florence Ross) finally settling in Braintree, Mass. USA. I have his Nat. records, Marriage cert, several passenger lists over the years and USA censuses 1900 -1930 - the last stating he was a widow.
    When I had World Ancestry I could not find him on 1940 census nor find his death.
    I wonder if someone with a World sub could look him up for me ? I like to tie up the loose ends if I can
    Thanks.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

probably him:
    Name: Robert Locke
    Death Date: 1932
    Death Place: Braintree, Massachusetts, USA
    Volume Number: 26
    Page Number: 125
    Index Volume Number: 91
    Reference Number: F63.M363 v.91

Comment

As near as I can tell, you're outside the date range for familysearch (which has transcribed a lot of the info on Massachusetts death certs) and no will showed up.

Comment

Thanks. I wonder if there might be a burial for him.
        I think this most probably is him but as there is no age given and Locke rather than Lock it would be a check. Only on a couple of documents he is as Locke.

Cross posted : I had looked on there - FS- and thought the same.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-11-17, 15:38.
        Kat

Comment

Don't know if any of this will help - Robert is living with son Robert S. in Braintree in the 1931 directory. Neither of them were in the 1933 directory.

In the 1940 census, Robert S. has now married and is living in Hingham, Mass with wife Marion. No sign of father. The name Locke was used in all these entries.
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Robert S and wife Marion were living in Boston, various parts of it, from 1933 onwards. It looks a possibility that after his father died he married and moved on. Also he was registered at birth as Robert William Locke, subsequently amended in 1942 to Robert William Slater Locke, so it looks as though they mainly used the Locke version.
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks for those Linda.
              Only the 1880 census gives his name as Locke, 1900 - 1930, all the 7 Passenger records, birth and marriage cert etc are Lock. I think it must be a US thing. His son Robert William Slater again was Lock on all censuses but his WW1 draft card is Locke too!

Val, I'm not convinced that is my Robert. I shouldn't think he would be buried in Brooklyn, Kings County, New York.
              Kat

Comment

One thing to keep in mind about US censuses - thru the time period we're talking about, the enumerator did all the writing, and was not required to ask for the spelling of names. I have some relatives whose names on the census pages have been mangled!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                  One thing to keep in mind about US censuses - thru the time period we're talking about, the enumerator did all the writing, and was not required to ask for the spelling of names. I have some relatives whose names on the census pages have been mangled!
                  My Polish ones are unrecognisable scrawls in most cases. It's only by some letters we found written back to Poland between the wars that we were able to find, eventually, most of their records.
                  Kat

Comment

Working...
                  X