Did the RHA/RFA go to Russia during the Russion Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the RHA/RFA go to Russia during the Russion Revolution

There is a tale in our family that our Grandfather who was a veteran of the RHA/RFA travel to Russia to help quell the Revolution and protect British interest This was probably between 1918/1919.

Thanks,

Dorothy

We did send troops to Russia to Russia in 1918-19. I would expect that there would be units of artillery amongst them.

Have you checked for a service record for your grandfather - or a medal index card/ medal roll entry ?
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

If you find your grandfather was in Russia, there's an interesting article from the BBC about a prison camp run by the British in Arkhangelsk, in northern Russia.
      British soldiers opened the first concentration camp in Russia in 1918, during World War One. To locals it was known as "Death Island".
      Last edited by jenoco; 30-10-17, 03:21.
      Jenny

Comment

Hi Antony. Thank you so much for your reply I do appreciate you taking the time to respond My reason for asking this question is this. Recently Family Tree published an article about the Russian Revolution and that there was British Military Involvement in the Revolution. I was going to reply to this article that my Grandfather served in the Revolution and as is my habit of including, where possible, dates and places to make my letter (should it be published) more interesting to the reader. To this end I pulled out all the aged documents belonging to Grandfather. I hold Grandfathers Service Records from 1897 to 1916 which includes his Medal Card showing "Pip, Squeak" and "Wilfred". The War Diaries of his Brigade and various other papers. Nothing in his paper refer to service in Russia by name. However one which is dated Transferred to Reserve 1919. The Service No. is as he held throughout his long army career. This document is falling apart across the centre and I think the words "Relocated? for one Year" April 1919 can be noted. I remember reading somewhere that the RHA/RFA were in Russia but cannot remember but recent searches only mention Naval Involvement. I am really looking for dates of the involvement of the Artillery.
        For my part I have no doubt he saw Service in Russia and he spoke about landing at Archangel and the hellish tension and danger he experienced. My mother who would be about 7 years recalls asking her mother where Daddy was and being told that "Daddy was away to a far land to look after the horses"

Thank you,

Dorothy

Comment

Thank you Jenny for your quick response. You can read fully my reason for asking from my post to Antony M. Grandfather landed in Arkangel so I will be most interested to read the article you speak of.

Dorothy

Comment

There's some info here too, Naval info but has some info about Archangel

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you again Elaine. I have read the one about the concentration camps - not ever heard of this. If you should come across any info re RHA/RFA on your travels could you please let me know I would be most grateful

Dorothy

Comment

Will do
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Dossie, I have thrown up a question on the Great War Forum (I am a member) and will let you know if I get a meaninful answer in due course.
                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Hi Grumpy, Thanks so much for offering your help. I was a member about 10 years ago and through them I found which Brigade of the Artillery my Grandfather was in and also through another member where the War diaries were held (National Archives of Canada) free to download for anyone interested. I have been suffering from a debilitation illness for a few years and just cannot summon up the energy to take on another forum so I would be most grateful for your help if you turn up anything.

Thanks again,

Dorothy

Comment

Dossie, seems like not too many members on the GWF know much about the Russian end of the Great War and only had one reply. He stated that

there is quite a few mentions of the RFA in Russia in a book entitled Churchills secret war with Lenin and written by Damien Wright.

I suspect that whole units per se did not go to Russia but were possibly split up with land units to provide support where necessary.

David

Comment

My grandfather was an Engineer in the Royal Navy (it was his profession, he didn't enlist because of the First World War) and he went to Archangel. I have his photo albums and there are a few in there of the place.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks again David much appreciated. I will try and get hold of the book you mentioned. Grandfather used to speak of the cold and as he wore a moustache, when it froze both moustache and flesh would come from his tip lip when he blew his nose. He also spoke of the women hanging bunches of red berries on the door to warn the Bolshevics that British Troops where in the area. I will let you know how I get on with the book.

Dorothy

Comment

Hello again David. Ordered the book via Amazon. The Internet is amazing!!!. Thanks to you and your fellow member on GWF. I will let you know what I find out.

Dorothy

Comment

Hi Elizabeth, it is wonderful you have his album in safe keeping. I have seen programmes where old sailors are speaking of the Russian Convoys during WW2

Regards
                              Dorothy

Comment

Hi David, the book you recommended arrived this morning and I am hoping to sit down for an hour or two and make a start to it. As you say the RFA is mentioned throughout this book especially in Norther Russian. So far I have only had a glimpse of it's contents but one area I read briefly was the Roll of Honour of the fallen and I was surprised how many UK forces are mentioned either KIA or of wounds. It is really sad that these soldiers, sailors and airmen are not mentioned more in Services or Remembrance but maybe they are and I have not been aware of it.
                                Thanks for your trouble I appreciate it.
                                Dorothy

Comment

We are all here to help each other Dorothy if we can. My pleasure.

David

Comment

Hi Grumpy, Sometimes fact is stranger than fiction. The other night I put the radio on for a while before going to bed. There was a play being broadcast and although I was not really listening intently I picked up the names Romanov, Lenin, Pertrograd so then my ears pricked up. It was about the anniversary of the start of the Russian Revolution. Then last night on TV there was a small silent movie about it. One of the subtitles read "The English" tanks are coming.
                                    Enjoy your day, or sleep well.
                                    Dorothy

Comment

Working...
                                    X