Why do people just collect names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people just collect names?

I've just looked at a family tree on Ancestry.com and he has my late mum and her sisters, plus my Grandparents all from Dublin. He has over 41,000 in his family tree. I've sent several messages to ask if he's related in any way, but my requests ignored. He has a few other Pollards in his family tree but they are not related in any way. Now I see he has my Irish grandmother's sister, her husband & family too. I wonder if he will reply to my new message asking if he's related to them? I know he has copied a lot of info from another Public tree who is related to my family and one who is NOT.

I know I have collected Irish Birth, Death and Marriage certificates of other distant ancestors relating to different branches of my own family tree, but only so I might help others who might be looking for the same families. Are people too frightened to ask others for help now?
    teresa

I contacted somebody the other day who has my grandfather in her tree, married to 3 woman with lots of children ,and living in the USA at one stage, he married once, and never lived anywhere else but here, all she said was thanks, and whats more 15 people have the same details as her, so obviously they have copied each others tree.

Comment

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
      I've just looked at a family tree on Ancestry.com and he has my late mum and her sisters, plus my Grandparents all from Dublin. He has over 41,000 in his family tree. I've sent several messages to ask if he's related in any way, but my requests ignored. He has a few other Pollards in his family tree but they are not related in any way. Now I see he has my Irish grandmother's sister, her husband & family too. I wonder if he will reply to my new message asking if he's related to them? I know he has copied a lot of info from another Public tree who is related to my family and one who is NOT.

I know I have collected Irish Birth, Death and Marriage certificates of other distant ancestors relating to different branches of my own family tree, but only so I might help others who might be looking for the same families. Are people too frightened to ask others for help now?
      Maybe he is doing a one name study? I have family groups who are unrelated to me and I add them to my master tree in the hope that day I might find a link in my efforts to track down and maybe connect all the Lewcocks.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I also do that Caroline, and have had many a contact, but some people do not like it, and ask how are we related.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          I also do that Caroline, and have had many a contact, but some people do not like it, and ask how are we related.
          So long as they are not living people then what is the harm? And who knows, maybe they have the key or I have what they are looking for!!
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            I contacted somebody the other day who has my grandfather in her tree, married to 3 woman with lots of children ,and living in the USA at one stage, he married once, and never lived anywhere else but here, all she said was thanks, and whats more 15 people have the same details as her, so obviously they have copied each others tree.
            I've had this, and when I pointed out the error (one man with three wives and groups of children, each "family" in a different location in the same census return) the response was I had to be "wrong" because my records differed from everyone else and they couldn't all be "wrong." ;D Ask for supporting or additional evidence and usually you get no response.

In answer to the opening post, compiling a family tree is still one of the things to do and the quickest and easiest way to do that is to take out free membership of Ancestry and copy material from there. You will then have a family tree - might not be yours and probably won't be accurate, but who cares, you've got one!

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-10-17, 13:33.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

what a good idea Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                I've had this, and when I pointed out the error (one man with three wives and groups of children, each "family" in a different location in the same census return) the response was I had to be "wrong" because my records differed from everyone else and they couldn't all be "wrong." ;D Ask for supporting or additional evidence and usually you get no response.

In answer to the opening post, compiling a family tree is still one of the things to do and the quickest and easiest way to do that is to take out free membership of Ancestry and copy material from there. You will then have a family tree - might not be yours and probably won't be accurate, but who cares, you've got one!

Jay

I think you are so right Jay.. Must have a family tree is the key.
                His few other Pollards lived and died in a different Country to mine.
                Mine were in Dublin from 1862 until they died. I'm in contact with several descendants of my grandfathers siblings, so I have details of all their living descendants and where they are now living.

I have heard from a distant relative who was talking to genealogist a few years ago, who had been asked to trace a client's family tree. When the genealogist couldn't find what his client was looking for, he said oh just get someone with the same name..that will do! The genealogist was stunned at that remark.
                teresa

Comment

Well on other trees I have found my father who died in the US aged 6. !!!!!!!! Another had him born where he lived in England but he was born in Ireland.

A contact on a DNA match had his family dating back centuries and huge numbers in his tree. He also had them going back centuries without anything to back it up.
                  Last edited by JBee; 28-10-17, 22:53.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Afraid I keep well away from internet trees, especially after finding one with 58000 odd names on it.
                    The accuracy was rather sus with one forebear born in the 16th century to a mother who was 108 yo at the time - not quite believable! I have the feeling that a lot of these so called trees are compiled by people who gather names purely for the ability to boast about it at their local pub or club

This is the main reason my own tree is kept private, not wishing to hand over my long and expensive research to be used just as a tree multiplier by someone totally unknown to me.
                    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

On the other hand I have found a very large tree with some of my people in it. Interestingly the tree compiler has got to the bottom of some very tricky problems for which I had also (independently) come to the same conclusions. No other public trees appear to have worked these out. So, although he has about 25,000 names he has done the research!
                      Anne

Comment

After reading this thread I thought I'd check out some trees on Ancestry as I've just taken out a six month subscription. I found a tree with my grandmother in it, listing her nieces and nephews as her children, and that wasn't the only mistake. Where do they get the information?
                        Jenny

Comment

One reason for inaccurate and duplicated trees online was down to the actions of the online sites.

In the past people were offered access to online data sets if the uploaded trees to the sites, the more a person uploaded the longer subscription they were entitled to, It was a way for the internet sites to build “their” resources quickly but accuracy fell by the wayside. Those mini subscriptions meant some unscrupulous individuals copied trees from one source and upload them to another.

Cheers
                          Guy
                          Last edited by Guy; 29-10-17, 06:51.
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Ah! That's interesting Guy and helps explain a lot.
                            I do often look at other trees but mostly for the laugh! Ones whose only sources are 'Ancestry Trees' are not even worth considering. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that their glaring errors include some of my ancestors. That's just the tree owners hard luck .... they know nothing and have had no fun compiling the tree.
                            Anne

Comment

And in no time, or effort, they have built a huge tree. Whether it is right or wrong doesn’t seem to come into the equation.
                              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

It's my opinion that much of it is down to stupidity! I will never forget a scathing remark made on GR years ago to someone who was convinced on no evidence at all that they were descended from someone famous:

"You are too stupid to do your family tree".

I am a name collector in my way. I collect all mentions of Holdens and put them on my tree as floaters in case one day they connect up. They also serve as a reminder that I have investigated these people, saves me doing non productive research twice.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                                  One reason for inaccurate and duplicated trees online was down to the actions of the online sites.

In the past people were offered access to online data sets if the uploaded trees to the sites, the more a person uploaded the longer subscription they were entitled to, It was a way for the internet sites to build “their” resources quickly but accuracy fell by the wayside. Those mini subscriptions meant some unscrupulous individuals copied trees from one source and upload them to another.

Cheers
                                  Guy
                                  I found lostcousins was a little bit like that. They started with the free 1881 census. If you entered your relations and hoped that somebody else would enter the same details and bobs your uncle you have a new lost cousin and they offered some subscriptions for the more you entered

Comment

Working...
                                  X