Scottish Records - HELP !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Records - HELP !!!

I am Struggling with any dates and parents names for either of these two anything at all would be most welcome.

Donald McCuaig married Margret Moore

I know they had a son called ******** who married an ******* ******* in Glasgow in june 1965
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 26-10-17, 15:58. Reason: posssible living persons names removed

Can you confirm that the younger people you have named are deceased? I have removed the names temporarily in line with our T&Cs

Comment

Originally posted by snowywhite View Post
      I am Struggling with any dates and parents names for either of these two anything at all would be most welcome.

Donald McCuaig married Margret Moore

I know they had a son called ******** who married an ******* ******* in Glasgow in june 1965
      If you have a look on the Scotlands People website I think you will find what you are looking for.
      The indexes are free but you will have to pay for certificates. If you have a lot of searches in Scotland then it would be good to become familiar with this site.
      The marriage cert of Margaret and Donald will give both parents names including the mother's maiden name.
      Credits on SP cost £7.50 for 30 credits and to view a cert it costs 6 credits - about £1.50 so very cheap.
      Happy hunting.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Donald & Margaret married in 1924 in Blythswood, Glasgow.
        Last edited by Elwyn; 26-10-17, 18:24.
        Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

thanks for your help unfortunately im not finacially able to look at certs on line, but thanks anyway

Snowy

Comment

thanks for your help unfortunately im not finacially able to look at certs on line, but thanks anyway

Snowy
            Try to find a starter voucher which gives you 60 credits instead of 30. As searching the indexes is now free, if you search carefully and choose wisely (should there be multiple entries returned) you can get 10 certificates, census returns, OPRs etc for your money. You cannot get better value than that. It is also the only place you can get the 1911 Scotland census. I would maybe try familysearch first if it's an OPR entry though as what they have there is free. If your family are Roman Catholic however, SP have the records online along with a small but growing number of entries for other Protestant churches.

Comment

Unfortunately you can't see the images on Scotlandspeople for:

Births less than 100 years ago,
              Marriages less than 75 years ago
              Deaths less than 50 years ago

and have to send for the certificates.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

That is true and they are a stonking £15 each but OP is looking for a 1924 marriage which is viewable.
                Currently can view births 1916 and older, marriages 1941 and older and deaths 1966 and older.
                If OP is lucky and the couple didn't marry too young then their births should also be available.
                If they married at 21 which was common, they had to have been born 1903 or earlier therefore they should both be on the 1901 and 1911 censuses. ancestry and FMP have the 1901 transcriptions so if a free weekend comes up that can be done for free.
                Should they have married young at 16, their births c.1907/8 will still be there and 1911 census for both of them.
                For any birth date 1908 and earlier the couple must be deceased as it's unlikely that both are alive at 109. Death certificate for one party will likely have the widowed spouse as informant, for the other it will hopefully be the son so you will get an address for him.
                In just over two months time, another year will be added to the viewable records. Even if OP waits till then, it will be £7.50 well spent.

Comment

I knew that the marriage was on SP but I didn't give the information because I always think it is so rewarding to do your own research and get the feelgood factor from finding a result.
                  Nice to be pointed in the correct direction and then having a go. The free indexes since the change on the SP site are a real bonus and it's amazing what you can find out for free, especially with an unusual name. The valuation rolls are always useful for pinpointing whereabouts and always remember to use name variations with a name like McCuaig - Mc and Mac, and other variations.
                  I agree - a purchase of credits can be really worthwhile if you search all the free stuff carefully. Genealogy is, unfortunately, not a cheap hobby but oh how I love the search!
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Snowy
                    Unfortunately Scotlandspeople differs from both Ancestry and Findmypast, which are both subscription sites, where once you have paid your sub, you can usually research away to your heart's content, although both are supposedly for personal research only.
                    Scotlandspeople works in a different way because, whilst the index is free, one has to buy credits in order to view the images. It is a pay per view site. So, whilst many kind forum members are often willing to look up events available through their Ancestry or FMP sub, they would have to use their purchased Scotlandspeople credits in order to look at specific records.
                    I'm afraid that there are often costs involved if one wants to do genealogy seriously and have the relevant paperwork to verify events and links :( - most hobbies/pastimes incur some costs, be it membership of the golf club, the purchase of materials and equipment for art/papercrafting/needlework or a contribution towards the cost of room hire for many other group activities.

You've had some excellent advice from herky, Galloway Lass and other members - good luck with your research.

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-10-17, 11:45.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

well put

Comment

Thank you so much for all the advice and help you have all given me, its all been taken on board and will keep up the search

Snowy

Comment

Working...
                        X