Trying to find a burial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find a burial

So the 2nd death cert I sent off for hoping that it would be my Great Grandmother was again incorrect. At the moment I can see one other possibility, but it isn't a perfect fit, so wondered if anyone else can see alternatives.

Martha Ann Brown, nee Johnson, born in Belper in Nov 1851, known as Annie. I have her all through her life, apart from the 1871 census. She marries Edwin Brown in 1876 in Nottingham. He dies in 1899. In 1901 she is living with 6 of her children at 8 West Street, Nottingham. I am pretty sure that she dies before 1911, as her children are living by themselves. She is not the Annie Brown aged 60 who died in 1910, nor is she the Martha Brown aged 50 who died in 1905. The other possibility is Annie Brown aged 57 who died in 1906 even though the age is a couple of years out - her age was given as 48 in 1901. Should I send for this one or is there another more appropriate?

On FMP in the NBI there are listings for Edwin Brown 1836-1899, Henry Brown 1891-1891 and Arthur Brown 1898-1898, her husband and 2 sons who died young. Do these entries give any clues as to Annie's burial - were they all buried in the same place?

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Had a quick look to see if I could find any Nottinghamshire newspaper death or burial notices which might have additional personal details, but no joy :( - sorry.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for looking Jay, and just to clarify, I actually am trying to find the Death Registration for Annie so that I can get her death certificate.
      Linda

Comment

Edwin, Arthur and Henry were all buried at St Catherines Church St Anns Well Road Nottingham

Arthur bur 3 Dec 1898 aged 11 months of West St Sneinton
        Henry Bur 6 Oct 1891 aged 3 months of West St Snienton
        Edwin bur 13 Apr 1899 aged 63 of West St Sneinton

Don't know if they are buried together.

This is from a CD I have.

Burials on the CD only go up until 1900 (some parishes earlier than that)
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Just had a look on Deceased on line and there are 2 Annie Browns buried on 1906

One on 24 Mar and they other 10th sep both Nottingham.

I don't have a sub but perhaps someone could help even if it is only to eliminate them.

Thanks
          Last edited by Lin Fisher; 25-10-17, 18:31.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Deceasedonline lists two Annie Brown burials in Nottinghamshire in 1906 one on 24 March, the other on 10 September. Sorry I haven't a sub at present to look at details but if one of these is the Annie whose death you found in the index there might be a home address listed in the burials register to help decide if she is your Annie.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Snap Lin :D
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Lin and Judith - thanks also Lin for the details of Arthur and Henry. It sounds possible that Annie would have also been buried in St Catherine's church then. The Annie Brown who died in March 1906 was 75, and so definitely not mine. It is the September one that is the possibility. Will have a look at Deceased on-line.
                Linda

Comment

It appears that there were no more burials in St Catherine's after Dec 1902, apart from one final one in 1908 for a woman who had strong ties to the church. So Annie wouldn't have been buried with her family - sad.
                  Linda

Comment

Can't see that 1906 Nottingham aged 57 on GRO. It is on Ancestry but the image shows aged 67.

Vera

Comment

Well, I just had a look at the actual index page for Sep Deaths, and it was mistranscribed on FreeBMD, and so also on Ancestry, who use their transcriptions. The entry is actually for Annie Brown aged 67, so way too old for my Annie. So now I have no idea when she actually died. Help!!
                      Linda

Comment

Are you sure she never married again wouldn't be unknown at her age.

Comment

Snap Val. I did see a Lancs marriage for a 66 year old W with a father William, Publican.

Liz what were Martha Ann/Annie's parents' names pl?

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 25-10-17, 21:17.

Comment

according to a tree on Ancestry, her parents names were Thomas and Charlotte nee Warren.

Comment

Val is correct, those were her parents. I have checked for marriages but have never found one that looked a good fit. However if she married as Ann Brown, the possibilities are numerous. I have also looked at deaths later on - there are a few in the 1920s/1930s as Martha Brown that could fit age-wise. I think I had better start saving for purchases of more death certs!
                              Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                Val is correct, those were her parents. I have checked for marriages but have never found one that looked a good fit. However if she married as Ann Brown, the possibilities are numerous. I have also looked at deaths later on - there are a few in the 1920s/1930s as Martha Brown that could fit age-wise. I think I had better start saving for purchases of more death certs!
                                Well at least can can get them a bit cheaper now with the pdf option.
                                Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                  Well, I just had a look at the actual index page for Sep Deaths, and it was mistranscribed on FreeBMD, and so also on Ancestry, who use their transcriptions. The entry is actually for Annie Brown aged 67, so way too old for my Annie. So now I have no idea when she actually died. Help!!
                                  Maybe whoever registered her death didn't know her age? I'm not sure that contacting Nottm reg office will help though it might be an avenue to look but they charge quite heavily for certs too.
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

my 3 x Great Grandfather's death, states he is 65 yet he was 80, and its definitely him, so age could well be out.

Comment

The M q 1911 is a possibility age 75. Annie Brown, Nottingham. Buried at the General Cemetery 21 January1911

Vera
                                      Last edited by vera2013; 26-10-17, 12:32.

Comment

I've sent for a full Death Cert for the 1906 one, with her occupation as "Widow of Edwin Brown", so hopefully if it's incorrect they will refund me and I can move on to the next one. This will be an ongoing project!
                                        Last edited by ozgirl; 26-10-17, 12:49.
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X