Mary mollard 1881 census.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary mollard 1881 census.

Hello everyone, back again looking for more help.
    Trying to find Mary Mollard nee Tredinnick, in the 1881 census. Husband Alexander who died between 1862 and 1871 in the U.S. I think.
    Mary born about 1838 is in 1871 Camborne census, widow age 33, cook, working for William Cardozo She next appears in the 1891 census in Camborne, she dies in Camborne in 1894.
    Her son, Alexander age 16 is with his aunt Margaret Blight in Burnley in 1881, cannot find Mary Mollard anywhere, tried Scotland census, not there either.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Toby.

Is this a possibility? Any record of her having the middle name Ann? I can't see the full record as I don't currently have live ancestry or FMP subs - but she is a widow, born Cornwall, in the employ of a Cornish family and working up north (although Barrow is a good distance away from Burnley where her son is in 1881.)
    Birth year is out but then again estimated YOB is c1838 in 1871 and c1843 in the 1891 census so there is the possibility that she was economical re her age?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 20-10-17, 10:36.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

the image on FMP hope you dont mind Christine

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Comment

Hi Christine, middle name Ann does not appear in any of the census, birth place is wrong i.e. Breage not Camborne, also 10 years diff in age, too much I think. Baffles me how people just "disappear" in a census year!
        Regards.
        Toby.

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
          Hi Christine, middle name Ann does not appear in any of the census, birth place is wrong i.e. Breage not Camborne, also 10 years diff in age, too much I think. Baffles me how people just "disappear" in a census year!
          Regards.
          Toby.
          Well that is because not all pages of the census have survived, plus people got confused about who should be listed. It is also possible that the person could have been travelling overnight so not actually stopping anywhere to be recorded.

Unless you know where someone is supposed to be in a particular census it is difficult to check if any pages are missing but Ancestry do have a note under each census of what is known to be missing.

Finally they may be there on the census but their name is so badly transcribed that it doesn't come up on a search or there has been a mistake by the enumerator or housholder as to the person's name. I have seen it where the family is listed and 'ditto' put for their surname and then maybe a lodger of a different surname is wrongly 'ditto'd'.

Lots of reasons.
          Margaret

Comment

Regards.
            Toby.
            I wouldn't rule this one out right away as Breage is only 7 miles from Cambourne and she may have given the bigger place as her birth town when asked rather than the exact place. Have you got her birth cert which shows her exact place of birth?

Is this her in 1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1

I can't see a birth reg for her on the GRO index but will look at ancestry.

Have you got the marriage record?

Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-10-17, 07:05.

Comment

Here's the son Alexander in 1871 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=1518

Still not seeing a clear birth for Mary Tredinnick - her age fluctuates in each census making her years of birth anywhere between 1837 and 1843!!

The only likely one is
              TREDINNICK, MARY JANE MMN: NANCE
              GRO Reference: 1842 M Quarter in TRURO UNION Volume 09 Page 315

Margaret
              Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-10-17, 07:33.

Comment

In my searching I found this which you may not have seen

Birth
                MOLLARD, FRANCIS MMN: TREDINNICK
                GRO Reference: 1863 J Quarter in REDRUTH Volume 05C Page 317

Death
                MOLLARD, FRANCIS 4 (should be 0 as only 4 months)
                GRO Reference: 1863 S Quarter in REDRUTH Volume 05C Page 205

Margaret

Comment

Mary in 1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8767

Mother is Sarah b1798 Ludgvan, Cornwall. I can't find the family in 1841 nor can I find a baptism for Mary.

I am trying to see if she did have a middle name at birth and like her age was a bit free with when she declared it!

Margaret

Comment

Hello Margaret, thanks for the comments and the searching you have done! I did not know about Francis Mollard, he would have been the first born, I can add him to my records.Mary,s parents were James Tredinnick and Sarah Michell, they were in Camborne in 1841, Mary listed as 5 years old and 14 in 1851,in 1891 she "loses" 6 years but definitely her in 1891. I dont have birth details for her, nor a marriage cert for her and Alexander Mollard 1862. I dont use Ancestry so cant look at your link for the 1861 census without registering with them, however I have her in Camborne, Basset Rd, as a servant to Anne Bullen, is this what you have?
                    I will have to do more searching for Mary,s birth details, will let you know.
                    Thanks again.
                    Toby.

Comment

Hello Margaret, thanks for the comments and the searching you have done! I did not know about Francis Mollard, he would have been the first born, I can add him to my records.Mary,s parents were James Tredinnick and Sarah Michell, they were in Camborne in 1841, Mary listed as 5 years old and 14 in 1851,in 1891 she "loses" 6 years but definitely her in 1891. I dont have birth details for her, nor a marriage cert for her and Alexander Mollard 1862. I dont use Ancestry so cant look at your link for the 1861 census without registering with them, however I have her in Camborne, Basset Rd, as a servant to Anne Bullen, is this what you have?
                      Thanks again.
                      Toby.
                      Yes, the 1861 is Mary Tredinnick in the household of Ann Bullen as a servant.
                      Margaret

Comment

... I dont have a marriage cert for her and Alexander Mollard 1862.
                        1862 marriage
                        Marriages Dec 1862 (>99%)

Mollard Alexander Redruth 5c 479
                        Tredinnick Mary Redruth 5c 479

It would be worth investing in this to establish whether she married with a middle name and also to confirm residence and exact place of marriage.

Christine
                        Last edited by Karamazov; 26-10-17, 20:52.
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

It is quite possible that a servant would have been called Mary Ann, to distinguish her from anyone else in the household called Mary, so I wouldn't rule it out on those grounds alone.

OC

Comment

Toby.
                            Mary's birth/baptism is not on Cornwall OPC, Family Search or FreeReg. So I don't think you will find anything online.
                            It might be worth contacting Sally Cann - OPC for Camborne. She has a website where you can contact her.
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 26-10-17, 21:35.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Looking at the family in 1841 I found baptisms for several of the children listed in 1841 plus a couple of others who presumably died before 1841 - results here:

Image of baptism for Thomas here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...=70&cc=1769414

But nothing as yet for the two youngest children, Mary and John.

With a post above mentioning her mother was Sarah, b circa 1798 Ludgvan plus the additional info that you have now supplied that her maiden name was Michell, I think this is her baptism:

Christine
                              Last edited by Karamazov; 26-10-17, 21:51.
                              Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                Here's the son Alexander in 1871 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=1518

Still not seeing a clear birth for Mary Tredinnick - her age fluctuates in each census making her years of birth anywhere between 1837 and 1843!!

The only likely one is
                                TREDINNICK, MARY JANE MMN: NANCE
                                GRO Reference: 1842 M Quarter in TRURO UNION Volume 09 Page 315

Margaret
                                Marriage 1832 Agnes, St.
                                James TREDINNICK+Mary NANCE
                                Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                  Marriage 1832 Agnes, St.
                                  James TREDINNICK+Mary NANCE
                                  1841 census which shows Mary alive and kicking aged 5, plus later info supplied by Toby that her parents were James Tredinnick and Sarah, nee Michell knocks this couple and marriage out of the picture.

Christine
                                  Researching:

Comment

This is the website for Sally Cann -
                                    Camborne OPC.
                                    Thought I'd added this to the previous post.
                                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                                      1841 census which shows Mary alive and kicking aged 5, plus later info supplied by Toby that her parents were James Tredinnick and Sarah, nee Michell knocks this couple and marriage out of the picture.

Christine
                                      Exactly. That's why I posted to show the names at marriage and therefore the birth were not what we were looking for ;)
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 26-10-17, 22:01.
                                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                        Exactly. That's why I posted to show the names were not what we were looking for ;)
                                        Sorry - thought you might have missed the earlier post re Tredinnick/Michell
                                        Last edited by Karamazov; 26-10-17, 22:01.
                                        Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                        X