• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthews, England, 1776-1846 era

Benjamin Matthews born in England 1776 wife: Salina Ruth Matthews 1785,
    Son: John Matthews born 1812 England
    Daughter: Mira Matthews born 1814
    Son: Jarvis Matthews born 1816 (we're told London or North Hampton, England but could have been united states.)

Benjamin Matthews was 4x my great-grandfather he and his family moved to Waterford Ohio, USA from England but that's as far back as I can go, I'm hoping to be able to find more info from there. we haven't got any stories or theories about them prior to immigrating to the United States.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I've even tried contacting a few people from the UK via Facebook, but I've had no luck. For all we know, maybe the family wasn't English at all, we have no idea.

Hello and welcome to FTF

I imagine you have this one

From that I tired to find them in England and am still trying but there are probate records for Ohio

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

A Public Family Tree on ancestry has Jarvis aka Gervase Matthews arriving in New York in 1820.

I would say that Gervase seems as if it could be the more correct spelling as it would have been a fairly common name at the time.

The tree owner cites the following reference from ancestry, but I don't have access to the world-wide records on there ..........

New York, 1820-1850 Passenger and Immigration Lists

EDIT:-

this record can be seen on family search collections where the image may be seen. I think this record appears to be WRONG

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Jarvis Matthews is travelling with Mary Mathews age 35, siblings John Mathews age 10 and Julia Mathews age 8. No father, but could be travelling with another family called Mathews ........... Elizabeth Mathews age 3a8, Harriet 10, George 8, Wm L (??) 5, Chas 3.

New York Passenger Lists
      Name Jarvis Mathews
      Event Type Immigration
      Event Date 1820
      Event Place New York City, New York, United States
      Age 5
      Birth Year (Estimated) 1815
      Ship Name Mount Vernon
      Last edited by Sylvia C; 21-10-17, 04:03. Reason: add information
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I would however say that the tree owner of the tree just cited could well be a font of knowledge ....... she cites several references that look like privately published family memoirs

Tree owner:- MaryJim629 (despite the name, the profile says male)

Tree title:- MattisFamilyJM-100
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 21-10-17, 08:40.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I was looking at this one last night

thinking it a bit strange but having had a look at the tree

England Births and Christenings
          Name John Matthews
          Residence Place Worcester, England
          Gender Male
          Christening Date 30 Jun 1810
          Christening Date (Original) 30 Jun 1810
          Christening Place London, Worcester, England
          Father's Name Benjamin Matthews
          Mother's Name Mary

didn't see a record of the marriage but named as Mary George and found this one

Name Benjamin Matthews
          Spouse's Name Mary George
          Event Date 31 Jul 1809
          Event Place Saint Martin,Worcester,Worcester,England

Just to add a free site that has been used by the tree owner, Forthampton, Glos. records

In the last vol. there are Matthews baptism which identifies Elizabeth ( from passenger list ) also, other vols. have the 2 families as well

Jervoice son of Benjamin & Mary Matthews of Forthampton, Labourer
          20 August

and interestingly 1812
          Matthews Selina daugr of Benjamin & Mary
          July 12th

Going back to that probate dated 1846, it has...for the support of Ruth Matthews and Henry Matthews widow and minor child of said Benjamin Matthews...., but according to the headstone, Benjamin died 1846, Salina Ruth 1844

Is this the right probate?
          Elaine

Comment

I definitely appreciate all the things you've all done so far, but My research shows Benjamin and either Sarah, or Salina. I've found the name Salina more often than not. I've visited their grave site since it's local to us in Southeastern Ohio and it says Salina, so either that was her given name, or a name she went by. not sure. Jarvis was married to a Samantha (leget) Matthews who was either born in ohio or Pennsylvania.
            Ruth Matthews">

Comment

Good luck with your search, I really enjoyed looking and would love to know if you do find more on Salina and Matthew
              Elaine

Comment

Working...
              X