What's in Ann Rootes kitchen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in Ann Rootes kitchen?

Ann Rootes of Fletching was my husband's 7x great grandmother, she left a will and there is an inventory though I'm having trouble with a few words, the first one looks like "one pair of Creepers" and the second, "Treft" but I'd like some other opinions please

The whole document is here

I think you are correct.

Creepers - pair of low iron supports for logs in a hearth.

Treft - a beam, a trestle, a strong large stool.
    Glen

Comment

Well done, Glen.
      Jill, what a super thing to have - it really adds detail about her everyday life and how she lived. Much more interesting than "I leave £5 to Mary, daughter of my son John."

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

What a great document. I have not found a will with inventory in my families, although plenty of interesting wills. This is really special!
        Anne

Comment

I always wondered what the log things were called... what an excellent word!
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
            I think you are correct.

Creepers - pair of low iron supports for logs in a hearth.

Treft - a beam, a trestle, a strong large stool.
            Oooh thankyou Glen! I'd never come across those terms before. I was quite excited to come across the inventory and will as it gives a real insight into how the house was furnished and gives a clue as to how big it was. My son now lives in the parish of Fletching so every time I go that way I'll be speculating as to which house it is.

Comment

I have one will with an inventory and it nearly broke my heart. My 4 x ggps on the Isle of Man in about 1790 from memory. He died without a will but under Manx law his wife was entitled to half of everything and a couple of parish officials did an inventory. There was a mattress, a wooden bench, a soup kettle, two wooden bowls a knife and two spoons. A blanket. Then a great long list of broken pots, rusted tools etc. Nothing worth a light. How on earth did she survive as a widow.

OC

Comment

That's a very sad window into her life OC.

Comment

Further on, in her Milk house and Drink house there are some other words I'm not certain of, the first looks like Milk Leads (still googling that one) and a very indistinct blurred word at the bottom if anyone has the time to take a look

Comment

Working...
                  X