Scots census and a death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scots census and a death

Can anyone see james grainger or granger b.1832 cupar, fife; a dairyman or his wife magdalene nee wilson b.1831 kilmany, fife after the 1881 scottish census?

James died in thornton, fife in 1909, listed as widower. But also can't see a death or remarriage for magdalene.

Cheers

I cannot see her death as Granger or variant between 1881 and 1901 but there is a death in 1891 for Madaline Wilson in Canongate, Edinburgh born 1831+/-2.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-10-17, 12:04.

Comment

Have tried everything I can think of and cannot find him in 1891 or 1901.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        I cannot see her death as Granger or variant between 1881 and 1901 but there is a death in 1891 for Madaline Wilson in Canongate, Edinburgh born 1831+/-2.
        Unfortunately she is also Madaline TAYLOR so likely a different person.

Have looked too but have not found anything so far

Comment

Bear in mind that Scottish death and burial records often refer to a married woman by her maiden name!
          Kind regards,
          William
          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thank you everybody. I've been having trouble, so thinking she was horribly mangled in the index, or maybe some of the family went overseas and she died there. Haven't seen evidence of them overseas though.

Comment

Wulliam, i've found one instance of a widow being referred to by her maiden name on the 1861 census, asides though, all the others have been referres to by their married names.

Comment

It's not at all unusual for a Scottish woman to appear on a census with her maiden name as a widow but it also happens even if she is still married and her husband is in the home.
                As to indexing, a woman is always indexed on death as maiden surname and all married ones - always assuming the informant knew all of them of course.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-10-17, 23:46.

Comment

Working...
                X