Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADVICE welcome re microphone headset for pc/SKYPE/recording/voice recog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVICE welcome re microphone headset for pc/SKYPE/recording/voice recog.

My brother has persuaded me to install SKYPE on my computer (not laptop) and mobile phone (in 2g reception area). Just for audio phone calls.

I am thinking of using Windows voice recognition. Also possibly record my voice on a blank CD.
    I have sensitive skin so have to be careful what the headset earpieces are made of. Wondering whether to go for leather but they are expensive.

I am totally ignorant in this area. Anything I have to watch out for? I have had a quick look on Currys' website.

Thanks...
    Liz

Do you actually need a headset? When I have used Skype I just talk to the computer screen and the person answers back,no headset needed.
    Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne. I have speakers, one of which plays up sometimes. But what do you speak into?
      Liz

Comment

there are tutorials on youtube, but maybe this will help

Get Skype Calling support for your Skype for Windows desktop and stay connected with friends and family from wherever you are.
        Last edited by Guest; 16-10-17, 19:26.

Comment

Yo just speak into fresh air as if they were there. Your pc should have a webcam which ought to handle sound and video.

Comment

G. Lass - I do not have a webcam on my computer...

Thanks for link, Val. Will check out tomorrow.
            Liz

Comment

Most computers have a tiny pinhole in the front of the frame through your voice is picked up by a sensitive microphone.

Incidentally, if your mobile is an Apple I-phone there is an app on it called Facetime. You can have a face to face conversation (free) with another person who is also using

an I-phone. Have had many conversations with son in UK and the reception and pic is perfect.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks Da vid. I have free standing speakers for sound and can't see a pinhole on monitor. I am getting to nearer to pinning down a date for local computer man to come and give me an hour so will ask him too.

I have downloaded app for Skype on my smart phone Amazon Fire as the brother I want to speak to has Skype. I think I will get him to ring me sometime soon on my mobile. It doesn't recognise any of his details...
                Liz

Comment

You need to look at "Manage Audio Devices" which is part of Control Panel (> Hardware and Sound > Sound) and the property box that opens will tell you if there are any recording devices installed. If not then you have to attach something with a microphone.

David Newton

Comment

Thank you David...
                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                    X