Obtaining an Irish Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining an Irish Passport

If your Grandparents were Irish and born in Ireland can you get an Irish Passport, would you have to prove it....... with Birth Certificates etc?

Thanks

Linda

Not sure but have a look at Chris Paton's Genes blog. He successfully applied last year and posted through the whole process.

Comment

I would imagine you would have to be born in and/or live in Ireland to get an Irish passport. But why not look at the Irish passport website.

OC

Comment

You are not automatically an Irish citizen if you were born on the island of Ireland. You may be entitled to Irish citizenship if your parent(s) or grandparents were Irish. You may be entitled to Irish citizenship if you were born outside of Ireland, but you may need to register your birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          I would imagine you would have to be born in and/or live in Ireland to get an Irish passport. But why not look at the Irish passport website.

OC
          No, you can get an Irish passport through having Irish heritage. A friend got one easily enough as her mother was born in Limerick, but had lived in the UK for many years.
          I think Irish born grandparent(s) is a qualification, but not great-grandparents. I asked about the latter before the EU referendum as I thought the majority vote would be to leave the EU, and I would have liked to retain EU citizenship.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for the help

Linda

Comment

I am entitled to Irish Citizenship and therefore a passport because, despite having British parents I was born in NI before 2005. However, I have yet to find out what obligations this would bring eg taxation. The example of Boris Johnson and his American citizenship consequences spring to mind! Am still of two minds whether to go ahead and apply because at my age I would not be looking for work in or unlikely to move to an EU country.
              Last edited by modem; 16-10-17, 00:44.

Comment

As my father was born in Ireland I had thought of applying for an Irish passport, not really for for me to benefit, but to give grandchildren an opportunity of applying for their own Irish passport at a later date if they wanted to work in Europe at some time in the future. However I have not gone into it too much at present but may make further enquiries as I am unsure whether this would be possible. Perhaps encoraging daughter to take out an Irish Passport might be better. Son is thinking about it quite seriously.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
                  If your Grandparents were Irish and born in Ireland can you get an Irish Passport, would you have to prove it....... with Birth Certificates etc?

Thanks

Linda
                  Birth of a grandparent in Ireland does normally allow you to claim Irish citizenship but there are several steps to go through. Firstly, you will need certified copies of all the relevant birth and marriage certificates showing the link back to the person born in Ireland.

Secondly, if you are claiming through a father or mother who was not themself born in Ireland, you need to apply to get their birth registered as Irish Foreign birth. That takes about 6 months and costs €278. Once you obtain that document from Dublin, you can then apply for your Irish passport. (Not before). There’s a 3-month delay for new applicants and a face to face interview is also involved. So you have to go to London for an interview. The passport itself costs £70.

So allowing for the time to get all the certificates together and the other delays, it takes about a year, and will probably cost around £400.

Fuller information on the Irish Embassy website:

Last edited by Elwyn; 20-10-17, 21:08.
                  Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X