Norman MacLeod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norman MacLeod

Any information on a Norman MacLeod born around 1873 in Ayr Scotland (as per what is showing on the birth certificate of his 3rd son). His father is also showing as to be a Norman MacLeod. The Norman I am looking for married Elizabeth Martin in Port Adelaide South Australia in1902 and they had 3 sons. He is showing as being a Master Mariner - presumably around the Australia coast as his wife lived in the Port Adelaide area and also his address was shown as there as well. Very little is known about him - only know he was here in 1902 - his first son was born in 1903 - 2nd son in 1906 and 3rd son born in 1909 and then nothing. I feel there is something "funny" going on - ie he may have already been married or had children somewhere else or something like that because I have been told that after the birth of the third son he was given his "marching orders" so to speak. And no-one in the family ever really talked about him except to say he was a Master Mariner of both steam and sail. Any information at all would be much appreciated. Contact - Wendy MacLeod

Trove mention?

There is a mention of a sailor in Brisbane in 1900 on the ship Samoa within an article on Trove.
    trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/173783948

Phil

Comment

You may already have this but for info, A listing in the Victoria Police Gazette 02/05/1919
      McLeod, Norman is inquired for by his wife Elizabeth McLeod, Ellen St, Semaphore, SA
      Description
      Ship's Carpenter, 46 years, 5' 3" , sturdy build dark complexion, blue/grey eyes tattooed about body and forearms with full rigged ship on chest.
      Last heard of on a coastal boat about 2 years ago.

There is a Coroner's inquest for a Norman Donald McLeod who died in 1922 aged 49 Peak Hill, NSW having fallen from a ? Sulkey. No pob recorded
      He died in hospital.

Vera
      Last edited by vera2013; 14-10-17, 16:04.

Comment

Ive pm-ed you a link to look at and hope it helps with your search, wlmac.
        Jacky

Comment

I have a Norman McLeod who has gone AWOL on me after 1901. Some of the op fits, some not but would like to eliminate this man if possible. Can you please pm me the link as well?
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 14-10-17, 18:52.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            I have a Norman McLeod who has gone AWOL on me after 1901. Some of the op fits, some not but would like to eliminate this man if possible. Can you please pm me the link as well?
            Have sent you the link, not sure if its helps but worth a go.
            Jacky

Comment

Does this tie in?

MACLEOD MARGARET : Service Number - R85112 Place of birth - ADELAIDE SA : Place of enlistment - ADELAIDE : Next of Kin - MACLEOD NORMAN

Last edited by Caroline; 15-10-17, 07:56. Reason: Edited at Jacky's request.
              Jacky

Comment

Not sure. My Norman McLeod (son of another Norman) was last seen in Glasgow on the 1901 census as an apprentice cabinetmaker, living in Govan, so near to shipyards andthe possibility of changing job to ship's carpenter. He was actually born in Rochdale, England though and as the youngest child, went with his mother after she was widowed and returned to her native Scotland. She remarried but most annoyingly, both she and 2nd husband had died before 1911 census and I can't find a trace of Norman that year.

Having reread my notes, I don't think this is my chap. Thanks for the hint though.

Comment

Norman McLeod

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                  You may already have this but for info, A listing in the Victoria Police Gazette 02/05/1919
                  McLeod, Norman is inquired for by his wife Elizabeth McLeod, Ellen St, Semaphore, SA
                  Description
                  Ship's Carpenter, 46 years, 5' 3" , sturdy build dark complexion, blue/grey eyes tattooed about body and forearms with full rigged ship on chest.
                  Last heard of on a coastal boat about 2 years ago.

There is a Coroner's inquest for a Norman Donald McLeod who died in 1922 aged 49 Peak Hill, NSW having fallen from a ? Sulkey. No pob recorded
                  He died in hospital.

Vera
                  Thank you - that info from the Victoria Police Gazette was very helpful as it is one and the same Norman McLeod I am trying to find out about. That is his wife and that is where he lived in South Australia. At least we know have a description of him . Thank you again.

Comment

This is one of his granddaughters and the Norman Macleod mentioned here is her father - it is this Norman's father (who is also called Norman) that I am trying to trace.

Comment

Wendy

The only Norman McLeod I can see b Ayr is the one b 1873, Kilwinning to James and Marian. They later settled in Glasgow. You may have this info already. He married 1893 died in 1914 although there are certainly gaps in records for 1901 and 1911 which could fit in with your Norman McLeods presence in S.A. having married and had children with Elizabeth.

However I can see x 2 records for a Norman McLeod b 1873 on the Seamans Register.

16/01/1917
                      Engaged on the Ashridge
                      Norman McLeod 43 b Ayr, Carpenter. Bound Interstate.

Same as above engaged on the 17/01/1918

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 16-10-17, 13:51.

Comment

Norman McLeod

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        Wendy

The only Norman McLeod I can see b Ayr is the one b 1873, Kilwinning to James and Marian. They later settled in Glasgow. You may have this info already. He married 1893 died in 1914 although there are certainly gaps in records for 1901 and 1911 which could fit in with your Norman McLeods presence in S.A. having married and had children with Elizabeth.

However I can see x 2 records for a Norman McLeod b 1873 on the Seamans Register.

16/01/1917
                        Engaged on the Ashridge
                        Norman McLeod 43 b Ayr, Carpenter. Bound Interstate.

Same as above engaged on the 17/01/1918

Vera

Thank you for your response - I do not think that first one born in Kilwinning is the one - but the second one I believe is the correct one. I have got that information but then what happened to hime I do not know.

Comment

Wendy

I did note that on the Genealogy SA site an entry for an Elizabeth McLeod's death in 1965 gives the informant as Norman McLeod (DH) deceased's husband. I would have thought this would have been son Norman but he is usually recorded as Norman Stuart McLeod.

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 17-10-17, 13:06.

Comment

Working...
                          X