Baptism of one child only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism of one child only?

Family with 6 children yet can only find a bap for one, the only one in The childrens establishment Stepney in 1871.
    And cannot find any Birth regs for any, including this one

Ideas please

Val ...........

I can only say that I've had the same problem!!

Have you checked (I'm sure you have!) non-conformist baptisms????

or for very much later baptisms ........... around the time of a child starting work or getting married?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

thanks Sylvia, I'll look further tomorrow, night then

Comment

just an idea!
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

The one in the children's home would have been baptised because many Home insisted on it. It is no indication that the other children in the family were baptised at some point, it's just a bit of bureaucracy, if you like, not religious observance.

OC

Comment

hi and thanks, OC he is with his parents when baptised in 1860 and in the 1861 census, he then appears in 1871 in the home, seems odd.

Comment

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood! Perhaps he was baptised at birth because he was sickly and not expected to survive. Was he in the home because he was handicapped in some way?

OC

Comment

Dont know OC, I'm 99% sure he married one of my relatives ,he is the printer who married her in 1882 then they both disappear, remember him ? am sure he is the one who killed that person by poking him in the eye with a stick.

Comment

am sure he is the one who killed that person by poking him in the eye with a stick.

LOL Val, wasn't that the battle of Hastings?
                  Anne

Comment

lol no, he really did he was in a pub, I do wonder if his wife left him ,rather than live with a murderer.

Comment

I wonder if he had a form of autism, and his parents put him in the home because they didn't know how to handle him. He may have improved enough to marry, but not realised the potential risk of poking someone in the eye with a stick?
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

could be Chrissie, hope I find out eventually.

Comment

Working...
                        X