Elizabeth Blight of Camborne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Blight of Camborne

Hello, I have hit a massive brick wall trying to find this lady!
    She was born in Camborne 1859, father George, mother, Margery Tredinnick.In the 1871 census she was living with her grandmother,Sarah Tredinnick in Camborne, age 12., her parents were in Devon where George was working as a miner(George died in 1873 in Calstock)
    I cannot find Elizabeth in any of the subsequent census, I have checked Free bmd and FMP for her death or marriage, only possible marriage was to George Henniker in 1884 but not her. I have the census details for her mother, brothers and sister up to 1911 and she is not with any of them.They were in various parts of Lancashire.
    I have looked at Emigration records on FMP, also Ellis Island records, also U.S Census, no luck.
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Toby.
    P.S The only death with the correct age was in Ashburton, Devon in 1931 but not her.

I assume you have her in 1861, recorded as Eliza Blight? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M78S-WHC

As you mention that her father George died in Calstock in 1873, is this a possibility:burial for an Elizabeth Mary Blight aged 14, of Kelly, in the parish of Calstock, 31 March 1872.
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I assume this is her father George's burial - NB marginal note alongside his entry:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

In the 1911 census what does her mother say for number of children born and number of children living? Does that indicate that Eliza/Elizabeth was still alive at that time?

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 09-10-17, 10:12.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post

Hello, I have hit a massive brick wall trying to find this lady!
      She was born in Camborne 1859, father George, mother, Margery Tredinnick.In the 1871 census she was living with her grandmother,Sarah Tredinnick in Camborne, age 12., her parents were in Devon where George was working as a miner(George died in 1873 in Calstock)
      I cannot find Elizabeth in any of the subsequent census, I have checked Free bmd and FMP for her death or marriage, only possible marriage was to George Henniker in 1884 but not her. I have the census details for her mother, brothers and sister up to 1911 and she is not with any of them.They were in various parts of Lancashire.
      I have looked at Emigration records on FMP, also Ellis Island records, also U.S Census, no luck.
      Any help would be much appreciated!
      Thanks.
      Toby.
      P.S The only death with the correct age was in Ashburton, Devon in 1931 but not her.

Do you think Elizabeth Blight is the same woman as the Eliza Blight (born circa 1860 at Camborne) who appears on the 1901 census as a single woman working as an assistant in a China Shop at Beacon, Camborne, Cornwall. (FMP)

Comment

Thanks Christine. In My Heritage, she is shown as Elizh, short for Elizabeth.
        Dont think that Elizabeth Mary is correct, no Marys in the family or E. Mary recorded.
        Father George died in a Plymouth Hospital, hence the notation on the record of burial.

In 1911 census in Stevenage, Margery/Marjorie was a widow, the census was completed by daughter Annie, no record of number of children born etc.

The entry posted by Giddysue looks promising.
        Thks again for your help.
        Toby

Comment

I remember seeing this years ago but did not record it! I reckon that this is her so will see what I can find after 1901.
          Thanks.
          Toby.

Comment

Got me baffled! This Eliza born Camborne does not appear in any of the other census,s There is another Eliza who does but was born in Wendron and different mother. This one appears to have died in Redruth area in 1933 age 74.
            The only thing I can now think is that Elizabeth did not like her name and used another one. This is one that I reckon I am not going to solve.
            Cheers.
            Toby.

Comment

Toby

Do you have Elizabeth's birth cert. According to the GRO site Elizabeth was registered as

Elizabeth Mary registered Redruth December 1858 mother's maiden name Treddinick.

There is another Elizabeth Mary b 1858 who married an Osborne and ended up in America.

I too followed Christine's find of a death in 1872 of Elizabeth Mary, without success for a burial as I looked in Tavistock, the reg district for the death.

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 10-10-17, 06:44.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                Toby

Do you have Elizabeth's birth cert. According to the GRO site Elizabeth was registered as

Elizabeth Mary registered Redruth December 1858 mother's maiden name Treddinick.

There is another Elizabeth Mary b 1858 who married an Osborne and ended up in America.

I too followed Christine's find of a death in 1872 of Elizabeth Mary, without success for a burial as I looked in Tavistock, the reg district for the death.

Vera
                This is the death reg that tallies with the burial I found in post 2 above.
                Name: Age at Death (in years):
                BLIGHT, ELIZABETH MARY 14
                GRO Reference: 1872 M Quarter in TAVISTOCK Volume 05B Page 299

So - this tallies with the birth of the Elizabeth Mary Blight with mmn Tredinnick registered in 1858 that Vera found - full name and age match up. Might be worth getting this death cert???
                Christine
                Last edited by Karamazov; 10-10-17, 13:52.
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hello Vera. I dont have the birth cert for Elizabeth, "Mary" did not appear on the 1861/71 census so on and off for 20 years I have only been looking for a Elizabeth. Thanks to Christine for the Calstock connection and your follow up on the birth records and now I am almost sure that we have her. I have the GRO indexes for her death recorded in the Tavistock area and I will order the certificate.
                  Thank goodness for Family Tree Forum and all of the helpful members!
                  Regards.
                  Toby.

Comment

Hello Christine, thanks to you for the Calstock connection! See my posting to Vera, perhaps success at last!
                    Regards.
                    Toby.

Comment

Hi Christine, have not forgot your help with Elizabeth, I ordered the death cert. on 11/10, I am hoping that I get it by the end of the week, will let you know but I am sure that it will be the right Elizabeth.
                      Cheers.
                      Toby.

Comment

Hello Vera, I ordered the death Cert on 11/10, hope to get it by the end of this week. With your and Christine,s help I reckon that this will be the Elizabeth I am looking for, will let you know.
                        Cheers.
                        Toby.

Comment

Hi Christine, got the death cert. it was her, poor girl died of Smallpox within 14 days of contacting it, what a horrible death I need a stiff whisky now!
                          Thanks again for your help, without it I would never had found her:D
                          Cheers.
                          Toby.

Comment

Hello Vera, thanks to Christine and your Tredinnick ( mothers maiden name) connection which has resulted in me finding Elizabeth after so many years of searching. Please see my post to Christine today.
                            Thanks again!
                            Cheers.
                            Toby.

Comment

Hi Toby, thank you for posting of your success. We all like to hear of mysteries being solved, especially when forum members have taken part! Well done, everybody ;D

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Pleased it's your Elizabeth, Toby. Cause of death is very sad for one so young and can be quite shocking when revealed on the cert but makes you think about such times.

Hope the whisky steadied you.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
                                  Hi Christine, got the death cert. it was her, poor girl died of Smallpox within 14 days of contacting it, what a horrible death I need a stiff whisky now!
                                  Thanks again for your help, without it I would never had found her:D
                                  Cheers.
                                  Toby.
                                  Hi Toby,
                                  Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear of a mystery solved, especially when you were quite pessimistic about cracking it at the outset. Glad I was able to help.
                                  Christine
                                  Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                  X