Help to find George please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to find George please.

I have George Butcher 1835 on the 1871 census in Bury St Edmunds ,Suffolk, with wife and family. I cannot find him on the 1881, Sarah Ann, his wife is there with the children but no sign of George. I have exhausted all my avenues in finding him. They were both born in Suffolk but spent time living in Norfolk too , where my gt grandmother Eliza was born in 1870, she died in childbirth in 1889. Also i am unable to find his marriage to Sarah Ann, her maiden name was Holmes. Please can you help, I would greatly appreciate finding this info on my 2 x gt grandfather.

Morning Chrissie, hope you are well, as am I, have lost 2 stones in weight since l last saw you and feeling so much better for it. Yes I have him 1891, any sign of his marriage, his first child was born circa 1864/5.

sunny r
    Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 08-10-17, 10:22.

Comment

you dont think this could be him do you ??? I think it says he was a Drover on that census ? or have I read that wrong ? maybe he lied about his name

Joseph Butcher
      Relationship Prisoner
      Marital status Single
      Gender Male
      Age 45
      Birth year 1836
      Occupation Drover
      Birth town Welney
      Birth county Norfolk
      Birth place England
      House name H M Prison
      Street Sheep Market
      Parish Spalding
      County Lincolnshire
      Country England
      Registration district Spalding
      Archive reference RG11
      Piece number 3204
      Folio 21
      Page 22
      Last edited by Guest; 08-10-17, 11:46.

Comment

Val thank you this could well be George, he would have been that age and his was a drover, naughty boy!!! will look at the census.
        sunny r

Comment

not found the marriage either, maybe she had been married before ?

Comment

If he was a drover, he could easily have been away from home on census night and not been recorded. I have come across census entries "man sleeping in barn/out in the field" etc. I have an ag lab who was shepherd by trade and one census year he was missing completely, another year he was recorded "in the barn." Farming has changed over the decades and I reckon that in his time the lambing season coincided with census.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Rosy View Post
              Morning Chrissie, hope you are well, as am I, have lost 2 stones in weight since l last saw you and feeling so much better for it. Yes I have him 1891, any sign of his marriage, his first child was born circa 1864/5.

sunny r
              Hi Rose I am fine thank you, but hubby has an op on Wednesday, so will be happier when that is over. I have lost almost 3 stone in weight since I last saw you, so we would be able to exchange notes (if we recognised each other lol:D). We had to cancel our holiday in South Devon this year, but all being well we are hoping to make it next year some time. It would be great to meet up again
              Sorry, I couldn't find a marriage I'm afraid.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
              X