Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to ask again but...

...third time lucky maybe.

Further to yesterday's question re Brimfield/Harris.

I have Lily Augusta Wall Harris born 1874 to Emily Jane Harris, in the Oxford workhouse, No father's name given.

No trace of either in 1881.

1891" Lilley" Harris is living in St. Pancras as niece in the household of Arthur and Caroline Smith, nm. Brimfield .

1901 Lily is now living in Bury as "wife" of Thomas Graham. (I can follow their family from there.)

1901 There is another niece of Caroline living with her, now in Marylebone. Gertrude Clara Harris , dau. of Caroline's sister Clara Brimfield and Henry John Harris.

I feel there must be a connection between Lily and Emily Jane Harris and Caroline Brimfield and Henry John Harris but I'm blown if I can find it!!

I'm sorry to keep asking for help but Lily was my grandmother and I'm longing to know her roots.
    Cath.

I have been looking at a Henry John Harris b 1850 f John m Amelia (the possible husband of Clara Brimfield) being the brother of Emily Jane Harris b ? 1851/1855

In 1851 a Henry John aged 1 is with parents John and Amelia Harris

John Harris
    Amelia Harris nee Hedges
    HJ Harris 11 son
    AA Harris 10 daughter
    Betsey Harris 8
    Carry 4
    Julia 2

Betsey's age does not match GRO reg 1858 Can't see any GRO reg for AA Harris but there is a GRO reg for an Emily 1855 Headington mmn Hedges

Emily Harris 15 daughter with f John a widower at that time.

Will try to find out more about AS Harris/Emily

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 07-10-17, 12:52.

Comment

Emily Harris 15 daughter with f John a widower at that time.

Thanks Vera. Does it give an occupation for Emily. She's a domestic servant 3 yrs. later on Lily's bc.
      Last edited by Cath RJ; 07-10-17, 13:00.
      Cath.

Comment

No occupation for Emily although under status column something written and then crossed out. Sorry can't do links on this tablet.

Edit Betseys age is correct recorded in GRO as Betsy 1853 with mmm Hodges.

Vera

Comment

Many thanks Vera. I've now managed to find all the Harris/Hedges children on the GRO site except for AA . (There's also another one, Ellen, born after census.) Unfortunately after getting quite excited about Emily born 1855 I also found a death just one qrt. later for Emily Harris nm. Hedges.
          I wonder who/what 1871 says about her and who AA is?
          Thanks again.
          Cath.

Comment

I think that death doesn't fit with Emily b 1855. It is for a child who died 1855 aged 13 months
            or 13 years.

Emily is with the maternal Grandparents in 1861.

Henry Hedges 68 Farmer of 120 acres
            Susannah Hedges 58
            Emma Hedges g/daughter 16
            Emily Harris 5 g/daughter

There are Oxfordshire baptisms for Henry John and Emily parents John and Amelia

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 07-10-17, 13:58.

Comment

Looking at a couple of trees on Ancestry, haven't yet checked to confirm any details yet: Clara Brimfield b. 1852 in Thrupp, Oxon married Henry John Harris 1871 in Oxford. He appears to be the same one found by Vera, son of John Harris. Clara has a sister Caroline b.1850 in Charlton on Otmoor Oxon, but haven't a marriage for her yet. A separate tree has Henry John with a sister Emily b. 1855 in Headington, so it all seems to tie in nicely.
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Emily Harris baptised 2 Sep 1855, Headington St Andrew, daughter of John and Amelia. John is a Labourer.
                Linda

Comment

found Henry's marriage on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Henry, son of John, a farmer married Clara d. of John Walter, a Game Keeper on 22 Jan 1872, church of St Philip and James, Oxford. Emily Harris was a witness.
                  Last edited by ozgirl; 07-10-17, 14:13.
                  Linda

Comment

Thanks ladies.

Clara has a sister Caroline b.1850 in Charlton on Otmoor Oxon, but haven't a marriage for her yet.

This is looking promising. Caroline Brimfield married Arthur Smith in Kensington Mar. qrt 1881.

Unfortunately there appear to be several Brimfield/Harris marriages in Oxfordshire at around the same time , making things very difficult.

I really need to find Lily Augusta Harris, dau. of Emily Jane Harris in 1881 then I can rest easy knowing I've finally found my grandma.
                    Cath.

Comment

AA Harris - Ann Amelia b. Dec Quarter 1851. In GRO register as Harriss, mmn Hedges.
                      Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda,
                        My Ancestry account has expired so I cant see anything just now.
                        Both Emily and her daughter Lily Augusta Wall Harris just disappear after Lily's birth before she reappears in 1891. She must have been somewhere between 1874 and 1891!!
                        Thanks again for your help.
                        Cath.

Comment

Looks like John Harris, Emily's father, remarried in 1872 to Jane Collett. On the assumption that until then Emily was keeping house for him, this would mean that she could now go out to work. If so there is a possible 1881 census for her as a Cook Domestic Servant to a Christ Church professor, Edward B. Pusey.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
                          Linda

Comment

There is an Oxfordshire m for an Emily Harris to a George Clarke 1878. Father John Harris, Farmer. Witnesses John and ?Martha F Harris. That couple don't have a Lily with them in 1881.

Will check Emily's signature against witness for Henry John's m

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 07-10-17, 15:20.

Comment

Thanks Vera, So many loose ends but none leading to Lily Augusta yet.
                              Cath.

Comment

Interesting find Vera, as it takes place in Elsfield, which is where the family seem to come from. I also found that Ann Amelia Harris married James Beesley, who ran the Swan Inn Public House in Elsfield
                                Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X