Where is Alissary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Alissary

I am researching my family in Scotland. I have my grandfather in the 1871 census for the Parish of Ardnamurchan near Arisaig. He is living in a small hamlet Alissary, which now does not exist. Can anyone pinpoint for me where Alissary actually is, particularly from Arisaig. Thank you.

Not what you're looking for but this book mentions the rent for Alissary, and presumably the places around it, and two names associated with it:

merk = merk. n a former Scottish monetary unit and coin worth two ...

Comment

Googling brought this up

moidart, history, local history, moidart,ardnamurchan,lochaber,glenuig,roshven,kinlochmoidart, ardnish, macisaac, macdonald, loch, ailort, lochailort, inverailort,genealogy, emigration, clearances, scottish, second world war, commando, special forces, SAS, world war two, training, st, finan, green isle

The Glen Moidart Papers
      Tenants in Old Arisaig, Scotland as per the Judicial rental of 1798

scroll down, and found this ...........

19. Alissary Said Angus Macdonald and Alexander Maclean £70-0-0
      Make four tons of kelp.

There are 25 other place names, so you might be able to figure out the relationship between Alissary adn the other places in Glen Moidart, perhaps with the help of this page ........

moidart, history, local history, moidart,ardnamurchan,lochaber,glenuig,roshven,kinlochmoidart, ardnish, macisaac, macdonald, loch, ailort, lochailort, inverailort,genealogy, emigration, clearances, scottish, second world war, commando, special forces, SAS, world war two, training, st, finan, green isle
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Don't think this is what you want but there is an Alisary on the south side of Loch Ailort. This is a few miles away from Ardnamurchan though.
        Anne

Comment

Thanks PhotoFamily, I will have a look at that.

Comment

Thanks Sylvia C, I have seen the Glen Moidart Papers.

Comment

Thanks Anne in Carlisle, this may be my best shot. Where did you find this?

Comment

Anne in Carlisle. That is the spot where Alissary is. I found it with the help of a bloke on Talking Scots Forum. It is on a walking map of the area. Plus a map from the 1870s. It is just south from the main road to Fort William. There is a creek, Alisary Burn at the spot.

Comment

Oh, great! I have 1:25,000 maps of the whole of GB so I just checked over the area and used the search glossary. I thought that might be a bit far away from Arisaig to be the place you wanted.
                  Do you have a detailed map? I can do a snip and send it to you if you wish. Just send me a PM with your email address.
                  Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    Oh, great! I have 1:25,000 maps of the whole of GB so I just checked over the area and used the search glossary. I thought that might be a bit far away from Arisaig to be the place you wanted.
                    Do you have a detailed map? I can do a snip and send it to you if you wish. Just send me a PM with your email address.
                    Anne
                    Thanks Anne, but I now have a fairly detailed map.

Comment

Working...
                    X