Army War Pensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army War Pensioner

If a man born around 1887 ish dies in 1933 and on his death cert it says No occupation , Army War Pensioner, would that mean he had been wounded or something?

Well, I think he would have had to have had some sort of medical condition either caused by, or made worse by, war service in order to qualify for an army pension. But 1933 was also during the great depression, when it was very much an employer's market, with lots of able-bodied people out of work, let alone anyone with any kind of impediment. What was the cause of death - does that gives any clues as to whether he could have had a permanent or life-threatening disability?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

hi Janet it says TB

Comment

Well in that case, he could have been ill and unable to work for some time,. An army pension wasn't enough to lead the high life, but I suppose it provided a little for a roof over your head and food.
        I assume his army pension record hasn't survived?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

we dont know for sure when he was born ,not found his birth reg, he says on one of the childrens birth certs he is a Sergeant in The 1st Royal West Kent reg, but its such a common name having trouble finding him, did find one in the right reg but not a Sergeant ,and have tonight found one a Sergeant in the wrong reg.
          Thanks for looking.

Comment

Well, during the later years of the war men sometimes got transferred to a different regiment and were given a second number. This happened to my uncle, who also kept on getting promoted through the ranks, but each time asked to be demoted again (perhaps he didn't like responsibility??) although he'd been made up to sergeant (again) by the time he died.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

This man was a bit of a liar ,so he maybe said he was a Sergeant but he wasn't, think I shall have to give up on him.
              Thanks again

Comment

Does an Army Pension Record exist for him??

There are some on ancestry ............ and they give names of spouse and children.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks Sylvia have gone through all on Ancestry and FMP just in case, but as his father and occupation he said he had do not seem to exist , its really hard.
                  Ah well cannot win them all.
                  Nightx

Comment

Working...
                  X