Marriage Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Certificate

I applied last week for a marriage certificate for 1964 and have just received an email from GRO stating that the information stated on the application does not match the entry identified. I assumed I had made a mistake, but checked with them and find that I did use the correct reference. Both parties are listed as on my application form. The GRO would not explain the nature of the problem but suggested I apply again using the name of the groom only. I am interested in the bride, who may be the person I am seeking. I only know her maiden name(first and last names) and her married surname (but not the first name of the husband). Does anyone have any experience of this sort of problem?

Apply again just using the groom's name, as they have suggested. The problem could be anything from a transcription mistake to a completely different bride and there is only one way to find out!

OC

Comment

And you need to copy the info over EXACTLY as its recorded in the index.

Example
      If he's recorded as William J Brown You put William J Brown.
      DONT put William James Brown, even f you know his middle name IS James
      Jess

Comment

good tip Jess

Comment

Agree with all the above posts - it could be as simple as a mis-spelling of one of the bride's names. (I came across this when trying to confirm the year of marriage of a couple I know - An N in the groom's surname had been substituted with an M, so the marriage didn't show up on the index at my first attempt.)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
          X