Death at Sea WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death at Sea WW1

Would someone killed at sea - on board a trawler - by enemy fire have a death certificate? I ask because my husband's great uncle was listed as being killed on the Viceroy 24 June 1915. His death is recorded (along with his parents) on a headstone in a local cemetery as being Dec 1915. Indeed CWGC has his date of death 7 Dec 1915 whereas the details recorded on Wrecksite indicate the trawler was sunk on 24 June. I can't find his death registration on ancestry. Thoughts please?

What was his name and date of birth and where s he buried?
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 02-10-17, 23:15.

Comment

George William Mellors dob 26.09.1856, buried Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby

Comment

He's listed on the Deaths at Sea Register on FMP. The details state he is supposed drowned on the supposed date 7 Dec 1915 but his ship is listed as missing so I doubt a body was found & therefore no death cert. His name was just probably included on the headstone.
        Glen

Comment

Thanks for the reply Oakum Picker - I was trying to firm up his date of death and discover how it came about. The information on FMP confirms he was aboard the Viceroy as stated on Wrecksite. However Wrecksite states that it was sunk on 24 June as opposed to 7 Dec, it contains details of the crew and who their next of kin were - this ties in with information I already have. I have read that 16 vessels were sunk on 23/24 June by U38 and that the Viceroy was one of them. Is the information on FMP likely to be more reliable than Wrecksite?

Comment

The FMP December date is born out by this account of crew members of a Norwegian cargo ship being rescued by the trawler Viceroy on 19 November 1915, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._November_1915
            which means she couldn't have sunk in June, although a fishing vessel called Viceroy is indeed listed as sinking, but with crew surviving, on June 24
            There is this entry on Wrecksite for the December sinking with max 9 lives lost

Looks like there were two fishing vessels with the same name, as listing of size and builders of the two vessels are different.
            Last edited by JudithM; 03-10-17, 10:36.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for this Judith - all becomes clear! I was just about to head off to the library to go through the newspapers, I can now leave this for another day. Thankyou for your help

Comment

Working...
              X