New Zealand birth records pre. 1885

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand birth records pre. 1885

I am researching my Great Grand Mother Ivy May Collins nee Fitzgerald nee Asher OR Usher said to be born in Christchurch New Zealand c. 1885 (no birth record found).
    Said to be Catholic faith, Maori descent and migrated to Queensland Australia c. 1887. Married James Francis Fitzgerald said to be born in Newcastle NSW (no birth record found) in New York City New Year's Eve 1905 (no record found).
    They were part of the Flying Fitzgerald Trapeze Act performing with Wirth's Circus.
    It is said that 'they' changed their name to Collins due to a contractual agreement with Wirth's and according to Queensland Death Records they are both listed as Fitzgerald.
    I have ordered the Death Certificates
    I am searching for:
    Ivy May Usher birth certificate
    James Francis Fitzgerald birth certificate
    Marriage Certificate – no record found in New York City
    Change of Names Record – no record found
    Any ideas on where I should search please.

Hi

In NZ in 1885 there was a registration for an Eva May Collins, Mother's first name Thirza, Father's first name Reuben.

edit : there are 4 others for Thirza/Reuban between 1882 and 1888
    Last edited by Cliff inNZ; 01-10-17, 10:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff inNZ View Post
      Hi

In NZ in 1885 there was a registration for an Eva May Collins, Mother's first name Thirza, Father's first name Reuben.

edit : there are 4 others for Thirza/Reuban between 1882 and 1888
      But she was not called Collins at birth. In fact she was never officially called Collins.
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
        But she was not called Collins at birth. In fact she was never officially called Collins.
        We don't know that. As Barbra has no birth certificates or marriage certificate all we know for sure is that their deaths were registered as Fitzgerald and "it is said" they were born in NZ and used the name Collins under a contractual agreement. Barbra hasn't explained where she has the maiden name Usher or Asher from as she has no marriage cert. Possible that they took this name because it was Ivy's maiden name but without firm evidence rather than "it is said" goodness knows how to progress.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
        X