Another request for help with the Berlin Address book please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another request for help with the Berlin Address book please

I posted a few weeks ago because I couldn't fathom out how to use these. Linda (ozgirl) helpfully told me how they work and I have been happily finding addresses of relatives. But I got to 1920 and can't seem to progress any further back. I think it must be a different system and I can't fathom it no matter where I click!

I *think* I may have found his my grandfather's parents marriage details and the address at the time of this marriage, in 1889, was Stromstrasse 55, Berlin. I can't work out what area it is in. It's there still and in Mitte but that's not an option...
    Would anybody please be able to check for me? And then tell me how they did it? I want to trace him between these dates if possible. I am hoping the tennant will be "Wilhelm or "Clemens", a baker, or "Christiane" Friedrich, his mother.

Thank you.
    :D Charney Jo

Hi, had a look for you. In this case as the street you want is in the City Centre, the listing is in part II. They are just in alphabetical order and Stromstrasse is on page 444 (1990:444 in the dropdown box in the top) Unfortunately there are no Friedrichs there at that year. There is a baker whose name looks like Linke.

Checking the people alphabetical listing there are 4 Friedrichs who are Bakers, their initials are A, F. F. and H (or O). (Page 289 of Part I, or 317:289 of the dropdown box) The people index is slightly different. As well as being in Alphabetical order it is also in occupation order so all the Bakers are listed together, preceded by Architects, followed by Builders and so on. Confused me a little at first.

There is also another section where it lists all inhabitants by their profession, Part III in this book. Under B, once I found Baker (after all the other Ba's as it is Bä ) there are the same 4 Friedrichs as above

Hope this helps a bit
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

i had a quick look at a couple of editions - in 1901 Clemens is at Kalkscheunenstrasse, can't remember the number, will check when I can but going out! and in 1912 he is at Erdmannstrasse 5, in Schoneberg district. Couldn't see a Baker called Wilhelm in either year.
      Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
        i had a quick look at a couple of editions - in 1901 Clemens is at Kalkscheunenstrasse, can't remember the number, will check when I can but going out!
        It was No 2
        Linda

Comment

Thanks again so much. Above and beyond once more! I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Not a problem, happy to help.
            Linda

Comment

Hi Linda again. I'm really struggling with these pre-1920's ones and have spent hours getting nowhere!

I don't suppose that, if you get the chance, you could check for Clemens in 1904 and 1905? This will tell me where I need to apply for Paul's birth certificate.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi there, in both 1904 and 1905 he is at Kalkscheunenstrasse 2, looks like he was there for a few years. Kalkscheunenstrasse still exists, however the building does not - it is now the back of the Friedrichstadt-Palast.
                Linda

Comment

Fab, thanks. At least the fact he just had the one address for those two years is a bit is helpful. Now to work out which Standesampt I need to apply to.

Comment

I had a quick look through the directories for Clemens - up to 1908 he is in Kalkscheunenstrasse 2; From 1909 to 1914 he is at Erdmannstrasse 5. He is missing in 1915 and 1916 (at war?) but 1917-1919 he is at Marburger Strasse 7. Again no listings for 1920 and 1921, but he is in Marburger Strasse 7 again in 1922. Let me know if you want any help with any other dates.
                    Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda. You are so quick. Amazing what being able to read German does in the help of research :D

I have a few other people that I am trying to track: my gt grandfather Walter Kulick. Between 1934-1943 he was at Kulmer Strasse 34 (Schöneburg). He was a LandesInspektor. Can you find him beforehand? I'm trying to see when he moved to Berlin. And was that his first listed job? I think he may have lived in Potsdam before moving to Berlin after WW1.

Also, (hopefully) Clemens' son, my grandfather Paul Friedrich, who was a baker in his 1933 NSDAP registration a papers. His address then was: Kulmbacher Strasse 11, which you identified as in Wilmersdorf. By 1939, he was a Büroangestellter, and living at Bayreutherstrasse Str 20, which you identified as Schöneburg. By 1941 he'd moved to Bayreutherstrasse Str 10. If you could possibly find him between 1933 and 1939 and see when he changed his job I'd be very grateful!

I understand this is a lot of work. Thank you!

Comment

No problem, but I might not be able to get to it until tomorrow.
                        Linda

Comment

No problem. Any help you can give is very much appreciated!

Comment

Walter Kulick, reverse date order:

1933,1932 - Vorbergstrasse 10, LandesInspector
                            1931 - 1927 -Neue Winterfeldstrasse 30. Occupation is now Db.Kanzl.Sekr. I think it stands for Deutscher Bund Kanzleramt Sekretar - a civil servant of some sort.
                            1926 - Neue Winterfeldstrasse 21 - LandesDb Sekr. Still a civil servant of some sort. .
                            1925 - Neue Winterfeldstrasse 21 - ProvinDb Sekr.
                            He is not listed in 1924 or 1923, but in 1922 he was at Neue Winterfeldstrasse 21 as before and his occupation was Kanzl. Sekr.

The earliest listing I could find for him was 1921, already at Neue Winterfeldstrasse 21, and he was Beamt - official.

I think this is all the same Walter as the occupations show someone in government working his way up the positions, from a general official to a National Inspector.

I'll have a look for Paul Friedrich tomorrow.
                            Linda

Comment

Paul Friedrich is proving a little elusive. I have however found Clemens Friedrich up until 1935 at Marburger Strasse. In 1936 he moves to Bayreutherstrasse 20, where he is until 1939 which is the last year I can find anything for him (do you know whether he died in 1939?) In 1940 Paul appears in the lisitngs at Bayreutherstrasse 10, and is there until 1943, as Büroangestellter. My thoughts (which could be wildly out), are that until 1939 he was living with his father, and therefore not listed as only the head of the household is named. After Clemens died (?) maybe he couldn't / didn't want to carry on with the bakery and changed to an office worker. At the same time he moved down the road, or opposite according to google maps!
                              Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda. What an amazing resource! And thank you so much for your time. I *think* Clemens is my grandfather and I found a marriage record on Ancestry between a Wilhelm Clemens Friedrich and Auguste Pauline Emilie Eckert (they sign themselves Clemens and Pauline) in 1889. I was especially drawn to it as there is a note on it that says that he died in 1939, which fits this.

I just need to find a birth record for Paul to prove / disprove it.

Comment

Working...
                                X