Scotland's People statutory death records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland's People statutory death records

I have just used the married name x 3 and on each occasion image returned an entirely different surname.
    Apparently SP transcribes married and maiden name for death records. I don't see how I can successfully search for a death record under those circumstance. Any suggestions?
    I know previous searches returned correct image on married names only.

What to do. Was looking for Jessie McIntosh image turned out to be if I remember Bowman edit Owens mn McIntosh

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 21-09-17, 22:56.

first of all send in a comment to scotlandspeople about this. From memory they will refund you the 6 credits the first time you encounter such an event and say you got the wrong result.

Secondly, the way I do such searches is to search for likely deaths using the married surname I am expecting. When I find any likely candidates I open a second tab and for each death I look for any other surnames with the same details except the surname. For example, say I am looking for Isabella HARVEY who was born Isabella LYONS, and keeping it simplr for the sake of the example:

1. search for Isabella HARVEY and likely candidate is Isabellla HARVEY died 1926 St Clement Dundee age 56 and reference is 345/1 3
    2. in the second tab I look for any Isabella [leave surname blank] died 1926 St Clement Dundee age 56
    3. the search comes back with Isabella LYONS AND Isabella HARVEY died 1926 St Clement age 56 with the same reference

I hope this helps

Comment

Thank you Bertie. SP have credited me x 3 as I wasn't aware of the x 2 transcripton for married females

Will try your suggestion for Jessie. Don't seem to remember this happening back in the day but maybe I got a lucky hit.

Vera

Comment

What do you mean by "used the married name x 3"? Was she married 3 times?
        What do you know 100% for your Jessie? dob/parents/spouse(s)?
        SP were having problems initially with some search parameters after the big changeover. They should have sorted most of them by now.
        If you post all you know I will have a go later today as I will have a few hours to kill waiting for hubby at hospital. He is having a camera up test. Today is the big one - 10 years after his bowel cancer op. I would appreciate something to do to keep me from worrying!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          If you post all you know I will have a go later today as I will have a few hours to kill waiting for hubby at hospital. He is having a camera up test. Today is the big one - 10 years after his bowel cancer op. I would appreciate something to do to keep me from worrying!
          I don't have any help to offer the thread, but I hope you don't mind if I jump in Vera just to wish GL and her hubby all the best. I know what it's like GL to be waiting for ops etc on your hubby, so I shall be thinking of you both and hope that all is well.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hello Galloway Lass

I meant I had opened 3 different records using the married name Janet/Jessie McIntosh. All turned out to be the maiden name of, if I remember, Owens, McDonald and Johnston.

For info Janet/Jessie/Jess McLucas b 1829 Clachnaharry, Invernesshire. Father John.
            Jessie had two illegitimate children, John and Simon and lived with Angus McIntosh b 1816 in Drainie, Moray as man and wife

I have followed Bertie's suggestion but can't see a McIntosh death xreferenced with a McLucas.

Thanks for looking but only if you feel up to it.
            I hope all goes well for your husband this afternoon.

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 22-09-17, 11:18.

Comment

Have arrived at hospital and he's been taken first on list for this afternoon. Just a thought. Do you have her in 1841 and following? Don't forget there are no certs here till 1855 and burial registers are thin on the ground. She could have been passed away by then but with a bit of luck she will have lived to a good old age (for then).
              Am off to get a bit of store cupboard shopping done then will go to coffee shop and plug in the laptop. Have been in this position more times than I care to remember so am well prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                I don't have any help to offer the thread, but I hope you don't mind if I jump in Vera just to wish GL and her hubby all the best. I know what it's like GL to be waiting for ops etc on your hubby, so I shall be thinking of you both and hope that all is well.
                Thanks Chrissie. xx

Comment

Best to be first up for your husband. Better than hanging around for both of you.

Think Jessie lived to a good age. Have her in 1841, 51,71 with Angus who died 1878/9. Not as deceased on John's 1885 marriage.Possibly remarried.

Vera

Comment

Even if she remarried [and gave all the right information] her birth surname and first married name will be indexed along with any second marriage

Comment

With John in 1881

Vera

Comment

Missed you there Bertie. Not sure that she married Angus McIntosh. So could have presented herself as McLucas.

Vera

Comment

Could this be the correct one with the wrong age at death - bearing in mind that often death records have lots of errors ( I have an aunt who is about 12 years wrong on her death).
                          Quality is poor so excuse errors on my transcription

Jessie Mcintosh, pauper aged 66.
                          Date of death -14 Sept 1885, ???? Lane, Lossiemouth (this is the parish of Drainie, county of Elgin)
                          Father - John Mclucas, ship carpenter deceased. no mother listed
                          Cause of death - heart disease, 1 year 6 months
                          informant John Mcintosh X his mark, son, rope and sailmaker, Macduff St., Lossiemouth
                          Last edited by herky; 22-09-17, 12:58.
                          herky
                          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Am trying to find her with the info. you gave - can you point us to the 1881?

Comment

That looks good Herky!

Comment

That does look good Herky thanks
                                That's the correct one father John was a Ships Carpenter,informant son John was a Rope and Sailmaker.

Thank you all for your help. Angus was my great grandfather's brother.

So searching for deaths on SP for married women check for married and maiden name with same reg no, inputting wide dob span.

Vera

Comment

I have a few possibles. Can you tell me address where she was with son John in 1881 please?

Comment

Oops. I see Herky has beaten me to it.
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 22-09-17, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                      Oops. I see Herky has beaten me to it.
                                      Sorry - I like to grab the Scottish ones if I can as that is where I am used to searching. Nice to get a result and hopefully it is the correct one.
                                      herky
                                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

No probs. Me too. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                        X