newspaper archive look up please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newspaper archive look up please.

"The Stage" 29th April 1948. Andrew Norrie Allen.

Please can someone take a quick look at this article and tell me what it says about him.

Many thanks.
    Cath.

Hi Cath

It says -
    It is with regret that the death is announced of Andrew Norrie Allen, the song writer, who passed away recently at 296, Norbreck-road, Bispham, Blackpool. Mt Allen was 61 and many years ago he was connected with the Lawrence Wright Music Company. Perhaps his two most famous songs were “If you’re going back to Dixie Mention My Name” and “Sally, Sunshine of our Alley”
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie.
      This chap is a bit of a mystery. We know all his BDM details and census entries but family legend suggests that he sold his rights to his many songs in a drunken moment in 1923 and from that time never wrote another thing.
      We have also been told that in 1934 the Daily Sketch carried a story about him and Florrie Forde the music hall star but we have never been able to trace it.
      Cath.

Comment

Looking at the newspaper archive the only reference to Florrie Forde in the Sketch is a brief note of her performing at some society do. However on 12 November 1934 the Nottingham Evening Post has a piece quoting Andrew Norrie Allen's wife about his problems, in which she mentions that Florrie Forde was the only person who "calls or invite us to visit her"
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

You're welcome Cath
          Googling doesn't bring anything useful up and The Daily Sketch isn't on FMP.

Comment

Well done for that Judith

Comment

Allen.JPG
              Not sure how readable this will be
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith, I'd completely forgotten that article. I have it filed away somewhere along with other bits and pieces about him and his sister who was also a music hall artiste.
                Cath.

Comment

How very sad.

Comment

Working...
                  X