Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Irish Ancestor

Hi all,

My first irish direct ancestor popped up today. Unfortunatly, i know nothing about trying to find out things about her or family. I can make assumptions but i know sometimes these can be very wrong.

Margaret McGinty was born in Ringsend near Dublin in 1788. Somehow she made her way to England and married a Thomas Thorn where they lived in Chalford in Oxfordshire. She died in January 1863 at Chalford.

Other than that i know nothing. Who were her family and parents ? Where they Catholic Irish or Church of Ireland from Scots stock. Where did she marry Thomas and why come to Chalford from Dublin.

So many questions. Any help or pointer really appreciated.

G

Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us a little bit more, please? What census information do you have about Margaret? When and where did she marry Thomas Thorn? What was his occupation?

Lots of people came over from Ireland in the late 1840's/early 1850's - they were quite entitled to as Ireland was part of the United Kingdom.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have a look at the Reference Library on here for places you can look for Irish records.

Bear in mind though that there is little by way of census information before 1901 as records were destroyed.

There are some Parish Records for both Catholic and Church of Ireland births and marriages etc but not all online by any means.

Margaret

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I have no idea where they married unfortunately. Firsr son born in 1814 at Chalford, Oxon and they go on to have many more. Some of these children go on to become Mormons, travel to London then to Salk Lake City in the USA.

In 1851 she is at Kingston Blount near Clalford. A widow born Ireland.On the 1861 she was noted at born Ringsend Ireland but for some reason i did not attach the census to her and now i cant find it on Ancestry but 100% thats what it said. She died in 1863.

G

Comment

This is quite a strange coincidence. I also have a Margaret McGinty in my tree but I can't prove her surname!!!!.
          She married (presumably) in Ireland to Thomas Gartland and they came to Barnsley, Yorkshire before 1825 when their second child was born. She died in Barnsley in 1867 (aged 73 giving an estimated birth date of 1794). A later census record for her first daughter says she was born in Drogheda, which is also near Dublin.

Descendants of Margaret (great grand daughters born in the 1880s) also became Mormons and I believe this is where Margaret's surname 'story' came from. Was it a real family memory passed down the family or just a convenient Irish sounding name? No one (and believe me there are a lot of people who have an interest!) has found any evidence so far of her surname. I have browsed the Drogheda parish records which are on line and not found a suitable marriage or a baptism for her daughter. They alledgedly marriad c 1820 and the nearest I can get is Thomas Garland (not quite right) marrying Margaret McKewan in Jul 1820.

I hope your search has a better outcome!
          Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 13-09-17, 11:55.

Comment

I saw the same two census returns for 1851 & 1861, but wondered if I'd got it wrong when I saw no specific place of birth recorded, hence my questions in #2 above.

I've also had a similar "Mormon" scenario, whilst researching the ancestry of a friend. A "missing" illegitimate adult, whom we couldn't track onwards, is reputed to have emigrated to Utah, settled and raised a family. The only problem is is that the Utah chap has been given a set of parents who married some time before his birth, although the date and place of marriage are not known. In "my" case, I think it very likely that two different chaps, both of unknown parentage and sharing the same fore and surnames and approximate year of birth, have been confused.

Mr G, if you haven't been able to locate the marriage of Thomas Thorn and Margaret, may I ask how sure you are about her maiden surname and also how you know what it was? Was it recorded at the baptism of one of their children or on a birth certificate?

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              I saw the same two census returns for 1851 & 1861, but wondered if I'd got it wrong when I saw no specific place of birth recorded, hence my questions in #2 above.

I've also had a similar "Mormon" scenario, whilst researching the ancestry of a friend. A "missing" illegitimate adult, whom we couldn't track onwards, is reputed to have emigrated to Utah, settled and raised a family. The only problem is is that the Utah chap has been given a set of parents who married some time before his birth, although the date and place of marriage are not known. In "my" case, I think it very likely that two different chaps, both of unknown parentage and sharing the same fore and surnames and approximate year of birth, have been confused.

Mr G, if you haven't been able to locate the marriage of Thomas Thorn and Margaret, may I ask how sure you are about her maiden surname and also how you know what it was? Was it recorded at the baptism of one of their children or on a birth certificate?

Jay

Looking through all my records and cant see where i got it from yet its not a place or a name i could make up. I def remember this persons family being in the Ringsend area of Dublin. I have no marriage for these two at all. So cant even check that although pre 1837 they rarely give much info.

G

Comment

I'm wondering if you got the information about her name and birthplace from FamilySearch.org? If some of the descendants are Mormons they would have recorded the information long ago. Trouble is there is probably (as in my case) no record of how they knew the facts. I'm not saying they are not true, like mine the information may have come down the family, or (sadly) it might have been 'created'.
                There are many trees which record my ancestor as 'Margaret McGinty born 1801, Ireland'. The only part of that I can verify is Ireland (from census). I have already proved that she was actually born c 1794 (death cert and census). Her maiden name remains a work in progress!
                Anne

Comment

The information seems to have come from a Pedigree Resource file on FamilySearch
                  Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

The date and place of marriage on that record may be helpful in accessing the register to confirm the maiden name but goodness knows how they came up with the place of birth.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Well found, Judith

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Unfortunately that marriage does not show up on Ancestry Oxfordshire PRs. But maybe Chalfont is one of those places which has moved counties ..... Buckinghamshire? There's a member on here who does Bucks lookups.
                      Anne

Comment

Working...
                      X