• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 search please

Have a Thomas GOODFELLOW born 1861 Birmingham died 1911 Islington

Parents Edwin and Ann maiden name Hodgetts

Edwin died in 1870 Ann in 1882

Thomas Married in Bethnal Green 1888 ,a Sarah Brant born 1864 Holborn, his occupation Glass Blower

They had a Daughter Sarah Ann in Jun quarter 1890 Holborn she died in the Mar quarter of 1891 Holborn

He is in Islington workhouse as a patient in 1901 and 1911 and dies in Jun quarter of 1911

Cannot find Thomas or Sarah in 1891 or her in 1901

She marries again in 1908 to a Albert Arthur Keen even though Thomas was still alive.

Any help appreciated

I had a look at Thomas and think found him in a workhouse in 1891. Defintely
    In w/house in 1911! Will check my jottings.

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 04-09-17, 16:44.

Comment

Thanks Vera, I thought I'd found him but it did not say Glassblower so discounted the one I found.
      Was wondering if he was in the workhouse for all those years as a patient whatever could be wrong with him?

Comment

Yes Val. I did wonder about employed as a labourer

1891 Census
        Thomas Goodfellow aged 30 G/lab
        Pauper
        B St James, Clerkenwell
        Holborn Union W/H at Mitchum

Was looking for mother of Joseph ? Sarah ?Ellen Think more likely Sarah.

Appeared to be a very sick man. In and out of Hoborn w/h Archway which I believe is the Infirmary.
        He is a Glass Blower in 1911

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 04-09-17, 17:16.

Comment

hi Vera thats my problem he is a glassblower on his marriage in 1888 1901 and 1911 , so why a Labourer in 1891 ? he was also born in Birmingham Warwickshire , I did wonder if he had an accident maybe with the glass blowing?

Comment

Oh yes forgot about Birmingham birth. Stretching it a bit but maybe sloppy Recording as he possibly came in from Clerkenwell.

Possibly some sort of lung disease.
            Not sure if there is another likely
            Thomas Goodfellow. Will take another look
            Vera

Comment

Glass blowers can suffer from damage to eyes, mouth, upper digestive system and lungs. Wonder how Thomas was affected
              Vera

Comment

thanks Vera you could be right about it being him. wonder where his wife went

Comment

Not Seeing Sarah in 1891 or 1901 as Goodfellow or Brant. I wonder did she live with another man, take his name and had a child Joseph.

Thomas always discharged from w/h at own request with no mention of "to wife". One record has him as single.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 04-09-17, 19:35.

Comment

I am really confused now Val. I looked for this Sarah, nee Brant, in 1911 with Albert Arthur Keen. The 1911 one that I came up with looked familiar, and when I looked for the birth of the daughter Martha and discovered her mmn was Applin I realised that I had seen it before - a few days ago when we were searching on your other thread.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie I am now looking for the man Sarah Brant was married to before she married Albert in 1908.
                      Vera what date was he discharged ??? thanks
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-09-17, 20:08.

Comment

The last sad entry for Thomas is

Admitted to City Road Workhouse 03/08/1910. Discharged to Archway Infirmary 04/08/1910
                        Admitted to Archway ?03/08/1910. Died 04/04/1911
                        Both records on same page 346

Thomas Goodfellow b 1860

Vera

Comment

oh thanks so much Vera so it is him on the earlier ones then, that's great, think I may have to get the cert am intrigued .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            Chrissie I am now looking for the man Sarah Brant was married to before she married Albert in 1908.
                            Forgive me if I'm being dense, but I thought she was married to Thomas Goodfellow before she married Albert. Do you mean that you think she married someone else between Thomas and Albert?

Comment

Chrissie

Have just posted on Vals other thread. Sarah Brent may have lived with Henry Louis Armstrong. That's if it is the same Sarah

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 05-09-17, 09:51.

Comment

Thank you Vera I'm with it now

Comment

what I should have said Chrissie is I'm looking for Thomas in 1891 after he married Sarah .

Comment

Working...
                                  X