Pennsylvania Naturalization Petitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania Naturalization Petitions

Hi, I was wondering if someone who has access to the above records could provide me with any information regarding 3 brothers from Donegal, Ireland who applied for citizenship in the period 1910 to 1930(approx) while living in Philadelphia. The brothers are
    Patrick Cannon DOB 22/8/1884 Spouse Rose (Nealon) Cannon.
    John Cannon DOB 9/5/1887 Spouse Mary (Duffy) Cannon.
    Peter Cannon DOB 9/3/1896 Spouse Mary (Walsh?) Cannon.
    The DOBs are taken from the scans of the birth registers as they appear on the civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie website but I know people could be quite 'fluid' with the DOBs they supplied on official documents once they were in America.
    Any information on who sponsored them,occupations, addresses would be great.

Many thanks.
    Paul.

Paul - a little more info would be useful
    * when did they arrive in the US?
    * were they minors when they arrived, and if so, did they travel with their parents?
    * do you have them in any census records? (several censuses give year of arrival &/or date of naturalization

If they naturalized before 1907, then you might not have much luck: families were naturalized all under the head of household/father - and the individuals in the households were usually not listed. The naturalization record did not ask (of the naturalizing individual) for parents' names, POB, DOB. Just name, current country of allegiance.

Did you see that familysearch has the index cards and records to eastern PA's naturalizations? Have you found your peeps in it?
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Off to see what ancestry has.

Comment

My experience with my Donegal relatives - they didn't necessarily know their DOBs. The researcher in Ireland who did records look-ups for me (Elwyn!) indicated that that was not unusual. And then, who knows, maybe they wanted to be older, or younger (especially true for my female relatives).

There is a Peter Cannon, DOB 4 Sep 1897, Donegal,who declared intent on 21 Aug 1925 in Phil. He stated he was not married. Address 2506 Sharwood.

There are many records that return with searches for Patrick Cannon, and quite a few for Peter. More specifics would help. And what are you trying to find? If you found birth certs, then you know their parents?

Did any of them have a social security number? (often found on DCs). The application for SSN (SS5) listed DOB, POB & parents' names.

Comment

PhotoFamily,as far as I can ascertain,
        John Cannon arrived in USA in 1905,aged approx 18
        Patrick Cannon arrived in USA in 1910, aged approx 26
        Peter Cannon arrived in USA in 1923, aged approx 27.
        As you suggest, I know who their parents were. I am more interested in finding out their occupations, who sponsored them and their addresses.
        Thanks for your help.
        Paul.

Comment

Recorded in the censuses:
          1910: year of immigration/citizenship (and progress towards it)
          1920: year of immigration/citizenship (and progress)/year of naturalization
          1930: year of immigration/citizenship (might just be yea/nay)

So, what do your records say?

Do you have access to Ancestry?

Have you found your peeps in passenger records, and know which ship they arrived on?

When did they marry - and where? Could Peter have married after 1925?

This is the one I mentioned previously:

Comment

Yes, and here's the naturalization petition that seems to go with that declaration. Wife is Mary, address 1545 Newkirk; witnesses Patrick Cannon, "mach"[inist] and John Bonner, fireman. Patrick's address - 1457 N 25th St

There are signatures for Patrick, John and Peter.

I like it, how about you?
            sarah
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 05-09-17, 03:57.

Comment

Hi Sarah,sorry for the delay in answering. I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday.To address your questions,
              John Cannon
              Can't find a record for him arriving in USA in 1905(or any other year) and can't find him in either the 1910 or 1920 censuses.
              I can find him in 1930 census where he states he emigrated in 1905, is naturalised and works as a labourer in a coal mine.
              Patrick Cannon
              He arrived in New York on 11/10 1910 on board the Columbia,so too late for the 1910 census.
              In 1920 census his address is 2506 Sharswood Street, his naturalisation status is recorded as what looks like PA, definitely not NA.(his wife's naturalisation status is recorded as what looks like AL,definitely not NA or PA).His occupation is recorded as machinist in a locomotive works.
              In 1930 census his address is 1437 25th Street Philadelphia. His naturalisation status is NA and his occupation is listed as a boilermaker in a locomotive works.
              Peter Cannon
              He arrived in New York on 5/10/1923 on board the California,so not on the 1910 or 1920 censuses, and I cannot find him on the 1930 census.You ask if he may have married after 1925.I would say that is very possible as he was single when he arrived in 1923 and his 1st child was born in 1930(as per the 1940 census)
              In his petition for naturalisation I have his address as 1542 N Newkirk Street, his witnesses as Patrick Cannon(his brother) address 1437 N 25th Street and James Bonner of 2328 N Masher Street.

I don't have access to Ancestry so was unfortunately unable to read your ancestry links, as the page which displayed simply gave details of levels of membership.
              What I was hoping to see was the pages from their 3 applications for naturalisation which would show the names of their sponsors, signatures, occupations and addresses which I do not currently have.

Thanks.
              Paul.

Comment

So, you already have the declaration & naturalization records for Peter? I believe that those are the same records I found on Ancestry. If you don't have them, please send a PM.

For anyone who wants to chime in, I believe this is Peter in the 1940:

Time crunched right now, hope to look more on the weekend.
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 07-09-17, 03:41.

Comment

Is this Peter 1930

Peter Cannon Head 34 Northern Ireland....Occ labourer
                  Mary Cannon Wife 33 Northern Ireland
                  John J Cannon Son 0 Pennsylvania
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

The marriage for Peter is online FMP

details as

Peter Cannon
                    Father's first name(s) John
                    Father's last name Cannon
                    Mother's first name(s) Cecelia
                    Mother's last name McHugh
                    Event date 28 Jun 1928
                    Location Philadelphia
                    County Philadelphia
                    State Pennsylvania
                    Country United States
                    Spouse's first name(s) Mary
                    Spouse's last name Walsh
                    Spouse's sex Female
                    Spouse's father's first name(s) James
                    Spouse's father's last name Walsh
                    Spouse's mother's first name(s) Mary
                    Spouse's mother's last name Want
                    Last edited by Elaine; 07-09-17, 22:00.
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Elaine, thanks, that is definitely Peter in the 1930 census.In fact, he is still living at the same address in the 1940 census. I wonder why I couldn't find him in the 1930 census.
                      Also that is definitely his marriage record, as evidenced by his parents'(my Great Grandparents') names.
                      Thanks again.
                      Paul.

Comment

If you create a login/password to familysearch, you can see the image of this marriage:
                        Patrick Cannon to Mary Duffy
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-09-17, 04:25.

Comment

Originally posted by City Hall View Post
                          Patrick Cannon DOB 22/8/1884 Spouse Rose (Nealon) Cannon.
                          John Cannon DOB 9/5/1887 Spouse Mary (Duffy) Cannon.
                          I think John's wife was Rose Nealon, and Patrick's was Mary Duffy?

There are death certs on Ancestry for the children of John & Rose
                          Name: Bety Cannon
                          Race: White
                          Birth Date: 12 Feb 1924
                          Birth Place: Matarnity Hospital
                          Death Date: 12 Feb 1924
                          Death Place: Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, USA
                          Father: John Cannon
                          Mother: Rose Nealon
                          Certificate Number: 19658

Comment

Wilkes-Barre is about 110 miles from Philadelphia. It may explain the difficulty in finding some of the records

Comment

Oh, yeah -
                              Marriage of John Cannon and Rose Nealon. Note that John's mother's maiden surname is "McCue" - remember, he probably said it to the registrar, who spelled it phonetically

Comment

Sheer speculation - yes, DOB is off

John Cannon
                                United States Social Security Death Index
                                Age 82
                                Given Name John
                                Surname Cannon
                                Birth Date 18 Feb 1887
                                State Pennsylvania
                                Last Place of Residence Luzerne, Pennsylvania
                                Previous Residence Postal Code 18704
                                Event Date Mar 1969

Comment

There's a private tree on Ancestry that probably has John in it.

John Cannon Possible Cannon Relatives of Luzerne County, PA Tree

Birth: 11 Nov 1888 - Donegal, Ireland
                                  Marriage: 12 Jun 1923 - Luzerne County (Luzerne), Pennsylvania, USA
                                  Death: After 1942 - Pringle, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, USA
                                  Spouse: Rose (Julia?) Nealon

OK, there are enough differences to stop until you indicate that you think these are yours. There's a WWII draft registration for this John, and confirms that he thought his DOB was 11 Nov 1888. Again, I don't think DOBs must be exact - sometimes there just good approximations ;)
                                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-09-17, 05:20.

Comment

Forgot to add - that John Cannon says his POB is "Donegall"

This John Cannon in the 1930. Note daughter's name is Cecilia
                                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-09-17, 05:48.

Comment

PhotoFamily, thanks for the additional information.You are of course right.Patrick's wife was Mary Duffy and John's wife was Rose.I was lifting info from different pages when I made the mistake.Rookie error!
                                      Also the John Cannon of Luzerne is my John Cannon.It appears that when he married Rose (Julia?) Nealon they moved in with Rose's sister Bridget Mullark(e)y, a widow.

Paul.

Comment

OK, that's great - and I understand the problem with mixing up siblings' info!

I think it would be helpful to find John and Patrick in census and other records. Help is appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                        X