Does anyone have any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any ideas?

This was taken by me and I am having a few problems deciphering it. [and no I'm not kidding!]

any help/thoughts would be most welcome.

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

1856 - A80 ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

Cheers Pete!

that's the problem I don't think that the date is as good as it should be! I have been about 6 inches from the stone and when you are looking at it the date is not as clear as it first appears... very confusing!
      Julie

Comment

1556 asol

Comment

Think the bottom line is abbreviation for Aged 80 Years
          The year looks like 1856 but the style suggests 1556
          Anne

Comment

My guess is someone who died in 1856 aged 80. Have seen that older style script in the 1800's on my family's stones in a country churchyard. Presumably like fashions, the country folks were way behind the city smart set. Left to his own devices, a country stone mason may have stuck to the style he was taught as a young apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              1556 asol
              Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              Think the bottom line is abbreviation for Aged 80 Years
              The year looks like 1856 but the style suggests 1556
              Anne
              I have been back today and still no nearer, but I did think the same as both of you. Anne I did think that it could be abbreviated for Aged 80 Years

would be nice/good to get someone that knows a little about the style of writing [Stonemason would be good but doubt that'll happen]

thank you for the input.
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                My guess is someone who died in 1856 aged 80. Have seen that older style script in the 1800's on my family's stones in a country churchyard. Presumably like fashions, the country folks were way behind the city smart set. Left to his own devices, a country stone mason may have stuck to the style he was taught as a young apprentice.
                thanks GL, certainly throws things in to the mix!
                Julie

Comment

Had another look yesterday and took a fuller picture, am a little unsure as to what I am seeing... [well, I know what I am seeing just want others opinions]

Julie

Comment

Hmmm! the only reason your original photo part has survived is because it has sunk underground. Looking at that I wouldn't be surprised at a 1556 date. It really doesn't fit with 1856 in my opinion.
                    Anne

Comment

The letters above the date are T M. The line above that starts with a J and possibly ends in an O. Could it be Jethro?
                      As to the middle two digits in the date, they are different. The first is an 8, the second a 5. Look closely at the tops of the digits and the left side of their bottoms. Different shapes. The top right of the 8 has not been carved, exactly the same as the 8 in the age line beneath.
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-09-17, 15:28.

Comment

When I was in Suffolk grave hunting a lot of the headstone there had full narrative on the front and on the back just the initials of the people buried. Not sure why. This looks very similar. Just wondering if it is a handmade headstone with initials and year of death on. Could the top be J M then a date underneath 1--0 and the bottom T M 1856 as mentioned above.
                        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

It doesn't look like a professionally made stone to me.

OC

Comment

does anyone else see anything next to the top M? and also directly below the top M too?

The stone was left in the ground with a good 6 inches sticking up out of the soil when the council moved 'most' of the headstones in the churchyard. presumably they didn't move this as it would be too much hassle to dig it out to move it? [there is also a theory that the stone and other select ones] were left in situ to act as 'markers' on the parish graveyard plan to act as reference points.
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X