Children on the 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children on the 1911

Why did that census only want to know the number of children of married women? I have one where a widow completed the details and they are crossed out. Fred falls under a bus a week before the census, Joe falls under one the week after. So why is one more important than t'other?

Another government clerk not thinking?

Cheers, SS

It asked how many children had been born alive to a married woman during the current marriage; how many were still living and how many had died. So, if their mother hadn't been a widow, Fred and Joe would both have been recorded in column 7, then Joe again in column 8 and Fred again in column 9.
    The first decade of the 1900's showed much concern amongst social and political thinkers about the child mortality rate, poverty, nutrition and education e.g the results of the work of the Macmillan sisters in Bradford and Deptford and the impact on the movement for school medical examinations, nursery provision etc.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-08-17, 20:55.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

As Jay says, it was about forward planning. Married women could have more children, widows could not and of course unmarried women NEVER had children, lol.

The question was never asked again as the information was never collated from the 1911 census. I am glad they asked it though, even if it was pointless.

OC

Comment

Thanks ladies - I know that widows could marry again and keep producing! It's just I wondered why the mortality rate mattered for married women and not for widows. Yes Minister, we had our reasons.

SS

Comment

Originally posted by SurfinSmurf View Post
          Thanks ladies - I know that widows could marry again and keep producing! It's just I wondered why the mortality rate mattered for married women and not for widows. Yes Minister, we had our reasons.

SS
          I don't think it was the mortality rate on it's own. They were trying to work out how many people had children who could support them in old age - there was no pension then only the Workhouse.
          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            I don't think it was the mortality rate on it's own. They were trying to work out how many people had children who could support them in old age - there was no pension then only the Workhouse.
            Margaret
            The OAP, available to some people on attaining the age of 70, was first introduced in 1909.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think it was more the fertility rate they were trying to work out. From this theycould extrapolate the population growth and what infrastructure to plan for.

OC

Comment

Ah, they should've known my GG Gran - her fertility was OK - 2 children born in between anniversary of death of husband one and birth of husband two's child!
                Didn't pass gene on to me.
                SS

Comment

Working...
                X