MacKenzie/Munro Inverness Scotland Family history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacKenzie/Munro Inverness Scotland Family history

Good Afternoon, I am trying to re accomplish the family tree. My father had lost our family tree about 15yrs ago. I spoke with my Grandfather ***** ******** (92yrs) memory of an elephant, but can't remember his mother's birthdate. Hoping someone here can help me recover some vital details. I am using ancestry.com, but am having difficulty. My grandfather was born 1 July 1925 Inverness Scotland to a Alexander Munro and Mary Forbes MacKenzie. He moved to Canada around 1948 and then to the US 1952. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 24-08-17, 07:36. Reason: living person's name removed

Hello MacKo and welcome to FTF.

For Scottish research you need Scotland's People, which is a pay per view website. You can view certificates immediately, without having to wait for them to be posted to you.

I suggest you look for their marriage cert and that will give you both sets of parents names. Using that info should help you to identify Mary's birth cert which will of course have her birth date on it.

Let us know how you get on.

OC

Comment

I'm using the world traveler version of ancestry. I think the issue I am running into is, according to my dad, my Grandfather was born out of wedlock and there were some circumstances as to why my Grandfather took the Mackenzie name. Blew me away when I learned of this about a month ago after 33yrs of being a MacKenzie

Comment

there are a few people on Ancestry with them in their tree
        Alexander Munro born 15 May 1857 Edinburgh Midlothian Scotland
        Mary Ann Forbes born 3 Nov 1859 Dornoch Sutherland

Comment

On SP there is a birth for a

Mary Forbes Mackenzie
          Born 23 June 1901

At ?? Buildings
          Rose Street
          Inverness

Father Forbes Mackenzie, a Postman
          Mother Jemima Mackenzie ms Mackay
          They married 1899 23 June

Informant Forbes Mackenzie, father, present at the birth

Registered at Iverness 05/07/1901

There is a marriage for a Mary Forbes Mackenzie for 1921 to someone other than a Munro

Vera
          Last edited by Jill on the A272; 26-08-17, 09:05. Reason: error in mother's name

Comment

Good luck with your research MacKo2000, I have removed your grandfather's name in line with this forum's policy of not naming living people.

Comment

MacKo, you'll not really find the records you need for Scotland on Ancestry. As OC says in post 2 you'll need to use the website Scotland's People as Vera has done for you above.
              Good luck with your search!
              Anne

Comment

MacKo

In British law there is no such thing as a legal surname, you can use whatever surname you wish. English birth certs until very recently did not even have a space for a child's surname. It is assumed the child will use the father's name, but that is merely tradition and it is not law.

If you get your grandfather's certificate it will tell you who his mother and father were. Scottish birth certificates are a bit grimmer than English ones and often state " illegitimate" although they also sometimes put the name of the reputed father. See if your grandfather has his birth cert already because you cannot download it from Scotland's People as it is less than 100 years old. It does sound as if no father is named, hence the reason he used his mother's surname.

OC

Comment

However, you can order / buy your grandfather's birth certificate from scotlandspeople directly from the website for £12 [but as OC says find out whether he has his own copy first]

Comment

There is only one birth showing for a Mary Forbes Mackenzie and that's the one posted by Vera #5.
                    The marriage of a Mary Forbes Mackenzie in 1921 however gives her age as 28 and her parents as William Forbes Mackenzie and Frances formerly Macgregor. So different parents to the birth found.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I appreciate all the help, I believe my grandfather stated his grandfather was Forbes MacKenzie. I'll double check. I know his Dad was Alexander Munro, he had it written on his travelndocuments.

Comment

Just looked at birth reg again for Mary Forbes Mackenzie on post 5. Mothers name should read Jemima not Jessie.

Good luck with your research. I too am descended from a Munro from Banffshire and later Aberdeen

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                          Just looked at birth reg again for Mary Forbes Mackenzie on post 5. Mothers name should read Jemima not Jessie.
                          I've altered it for you Vera.

Comment

Thanks Jill

Vera

Comment

This looks like Forbes and Jemima in 1901 -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Good luck with your research. I too am descended from a Munro from Banffshire and later Aberdeen

Vera
                                Vera, I too have Munro's in Banffshire. My 2x great grandmother married Roderick Munro in 1868. They had 9 children born Bushend Farm Inveravon.

Comment

One of the most beautiful sights I have seen is turning the corner on the road as you enter Inveravon - a truly beautiful little village - been past there many a time - I spent 23 years working in Scotland and remember Inveravon fondly...
                                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
                                  X