Page Family, Sussex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Family, Sussex

I have been trying to help a friend in Canada whose Grandfather was a Home Child.

His grandfather was birth registered as William Spencer Page b1905 in Uckfield, no father mentioned on the birth certificate, the mother was Kate J Page, daughter of Spencer Page a Police Constable. I can trace the family back so that is no problem, what I have been unable to find is any mention of Kate after the birth so his questions of why was the child placed in an orphanage, what happened to Kate remain unanswered.

Any thoughts would be welcome please.

Hello Patroy and welcome to FTF
    I have moved your thread to our Research section and hope you will get some suggestions there.
    Please remember though everyone that our T&C's don't allow the posting of any names of people who may still be living.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

What year was Kate J Page born please?

Comment

Looks like Kate Jane Page, Q2 1875, Kingston RD, mmn Newnam. I think Spencer Page married Fanny Matilda Newnam in Q1 1863 in Uckfield

Anne

Comment

There is a marriage of Kate J Page to Francis P Hind Q3 1935 in Thanet RD. The only marriage that comes up for her name in the period. Have you tried this certificate?

Anne

Comment

I was looking at that one Anne, but couldn't find her with Spencer to confirm it. That marriage does make it look like her though. She was older than we usually see (30) to be having a child out of wedlock.

Comment

She's on the 1881 census with her family aged 6 but interestingly not on the 1891 census with them.

Anne
                Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-08-17, 10:44.

Comment

Unfortunately that marriage looks to be a non starter Anne. In 1939 Francis is with his wife Kate J, but her birth is showing as 6th September 1902. There is Kate Joan Page born in Thanet in 1902 that fits.
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 21-08-17, 10:46.

Comment

Ah, she's not the one who married! They are on the 1939 register in Ramsgate and she was born in 1902!
                    Back to the drawing board!

Anne Ha! Snap!
                    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-08-17, 10:47.

Comment

I have been looking at the 1939 again and if she dropped the J and was just Kate there are other possibilities if she didn't marry. No way to confirm though as there are also births of Kate Pages that could fit.

Comment

I was wondering if she used the name Catherine at all but she seems to be Kate so far. Wonder if she altered her name a bit after the birth?
                        Wonder if she "kept an eye" on her son from a distance and emigrated? Seems unlikely, though.

Anne
                        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-08-17, 11:15.

Comment

I'm stumped at the moment Anne. No other researchers on Ancestry either, apart from one who has her as Kate A Page........so no help there lol.

Comment

LOL, that's where I picked up the 1881 census which clearly says Kate J Page so the researcher has been shoddy in entering her name in the tree.
                            In 1891 she is a servant in Brighton, birthplace Uckfield but I can't find her on the next two censuses before and after the birth of her son.

Anne

Comment

Do you think this may be her in 1901?

Comment

wow, so much help thank you. I think I found her in 1891 showing as a servant but I cannot for the life of me find her after that. Interestingly the child was registered as William Spencer Page, and that name appears on the Fegan Children's Home emigration papers but when he appears in Canada after that his name is Spencer Thomas Victor Page. Is there any mileage in writing to the children's home do you think?

Comment

I believe her child, when in Canada, referred to her as Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                    LOL, that's where I picked up the 1881 census which clearly says Kate J Page so the researcher has been shoddy in entering her name in the tree.
                                    In 1891 she is a servant in Brighton, birthplace Uckfield but I can't find her on the next two censuses before and after the birth of her son.

Anne
                                    Thank goodness it wasn't me lol, the tree I am creating is on FMP. I agree she totally drops off the radar before and after the birth of her son. Interestingly, William claims to have been born in Worthing and on his children's home emigration papers it states Worthing, but as far as I can see it is Uckfield which is the place where her Police Constable father and family lived. Her sister Matilda lived in Brighton with husband and children so it is feasible she went back to the Brighton area after the birth.

Comment

as i do not have Ancestry would you mind telling me where you think she is please, thank you
                                      Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                      Do you think this may be her in 1901?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=6598

Comment

The 1901 census which Chrissie found shows a Kate Page aged 25 born in Worthing, Sussex. She is a servant in Harrow.

Yes, Chrissie I had a look at that one. Without any other sign of her I think it could be. My knowledge of 'down south' is limited though!
                                        Now Patroy says William claims to have been born in Worthing it looks even more likely.

Patroy, you say the child was registered as William Spencer Page but there is no birth registration for that full name. Very surprisingly there are two William Page registrations in Uckfield in Q3 1905. One has no Mother's maiden name (Vol 2B page 124) and the other one has mother's maiden name Ralph (Vol 2B page 123) Is there any significance in these registrations so close together?

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X