What is a sister wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a sister wife?

I was looking for Augusta Damen (who married Harold Buxton in the second quarter of 1911 at Chesterfield and had three children with him) in the 1911 census on familysearch . I came across Augusta Ilbert Diment, who at 60 years of age is obviously not the correct person but I was intrigued by relationship of “sister wife” that she had given. Has anyone any idea what this means?

Looking at the image on Ancestry she has been transcribed as Augu Sta Albert Diment:(

Charlotte and Anne Hamilton complete the form as sisters and single, and Augusta is recorded as sister and wife (married 22 years).

So I read it that they are Hamilton sisters and Augusta had married a Diment but they were all together that night......Mr Diment is not in the household.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 20-08-17, 00:28.
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

FYI ..............

"sister wife" is the term used by Mormons for the "wives" they marry in a celestial ceremony (ie not legally recognised). These days, only the first wife is legal, the others are not, their relationship is considered similar to common-law, or even single parent mothers.

In Canada such sister wives can claim socila services payments for themselves and child benefits for each child from the government. Not sure what happens in the US, or other countries where there maybe Mormon communities.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia

It wouldn't matter in the UK. Women get social security benefits for themselves and their children. Whether they are married or not doesn't come into it.

OC

Comment

OC

it is the same here, although women do have to find work in BC after the youngest child starts school or go onto welfare.

The big problem is that we have a Fundamentalist Mormon community in southeastern BC (called Bountiful, if you want to google it) who do believe in polygamy.

The Charter of Rights, ie right to follow religious principles, is always being invoked, even though polygamy is illegal in Canada.

The 2nd and subsequent wives are not married in the eyes of the government, and are able to get all the social security benefits for themselves and their children.

BUT they are married in the eyes of the Bishop of the community .............. at least one of the men, a former Bishop, has had at least 24 wives some of whom were underage. Just think of the income that he is receiving!

A court case has just concluded here ........... it is very interesting reading all about it.

Bountiful's ties are with Warren Jeffs, currently in jail in Texas but still issuing edicts to his followers. I understand that the latest one announced that almost 4 billion people had left the earth for down below. His sect is therefore to prepare to ascend to ?????

BTW .... Warren Jeffs had 79 wives before he was arrested, many of them child brides as young as 12 or 13.

It was the term "sister wives" that I was attempting to explain, as it is / was a commonly used term among Mormons, until they discontinued polygamy around 1890.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia

Yes, I have read about this fundamentalist sect and what always amazes me is how many daft women go along with it! I can only assume they are brainwashed.

OC

Comment

they are raised to believe that they serve the men. Their duty in life is to marry and bear children. Several women who have left Bountiful have given evidence in various court cases that they were raised in the belief that their father then their husband had full authority over them, and that the Bishop of the community and Jeffs had full authority over everyone.

Only men in positions of authority are allowed to marry, and the higher they rise the more wives they are allotted by the Bishop, or by the leader. Warren Jeffs used to tell who was to marry who.

Young boys know they have little chance of marrying ....... they either continue to live in the community and work for the community or they are kicked out and have to fend for themselves.

Both sexes get little education ....... it seems that the school in Bountiful has taped sermons by Jeffs that are played every day. He is still producing these tapes from his jail cell in the US

That's another sore point with many ordinary BC'ers ............ the school managed to achieve registration as a private religiously-run school, and therefore gets funding from the BC government BUT it does not teach the BC curriculum, which it is supposed to do.

Among other things, there is no sex education.

Education basically ends around 13-15. Some women have got permission from their husbands in their 30s to go to the local community college to learn about growing herbs and herbal remedies, or to become a midwife ....... and then return to the community to work as herbalist or to deliver babies.

It's the same with the related Fundamentalist communities on the Utah / Idaho border in the US.

Think commune in the worst sense :(
              Last edited by Sylvia C; 20-08-17, 20:21.

Comment

My daughter was at school with a girl from a fundamental sect. The girl was extremely clever and could easily have gone to university but her father would not hear of it and she was married the day after her 16th birthday to a much older man. It still makes my blood boil.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X