No announcement yet.

Marriage Banns read three years apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Banns read three years apart?

I have found banns for Priscilla Harrison and Enoch Bill being read on Sept 23rd, Sept 30th and Oct 6th 1855 in Rocester, Staffordshire. I have then found banns for the same couple read on July 4th, July 11th and July 18th 1858 again in Rocester.

The couple eventually married in 1860 in the Derby registration district.

I've never seen this before, so I wonder if I could have some theories please? Is it likely that someone raised an objection when the Banns were read?

Also - do Banns "expire" as in do you have to marry within a certain time period for them to be valid?

Thanks in advance
    Barbara

I don't know if it's significant but her son's birth is registered in 3rd quarter 1858. There is not father's name in his marriage certificate but his mother is named
    Barbara

Comment

I'd say cold feet, lol! I have seen this once in my tree, where the couple didn't marry after the first set of banns. They married some years later. I don't know why the delay.

I think banns are valid for three months. 6 months?

Just remembered a distant relative called banns, then his father died and the wedding was postponed out of respect. They didn't in fact marry for nearly ten years because " mother can't be left on her own" and she didn't wnt some flighty new bride in her home!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. I like that idea of cold feet

and I hadn't thought of something else in the family possibly having an effect.
        Barbara

Comment

I too think there is a time limit and if the marriage doesn't take place within that time, then the banns have to be called again.
          Another scenario that I know of was publicity and a cash sum from a Sunday newspaper - "would be bride jilted at the altar." It was claimed by the bride, when she turned up for work two days after the cancelled marriage, that her groom had had cold feet, but they married within the month and then went off on holiday, financed by the newspaper payout. (That was in the 1960's and the banns readings were still valid, so I don't think it would apply in your case.)

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-08-17, 21:47.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet
            Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 15-08-17, 21:56.
            Barbara

Comment

According to the current CofE, Diocese of Worcester page, marriage banns and common licences are valid for three months only.
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

The groom wasn't in the military by any chance, was he?

A soldier had to get permission to get married ......... I've seen a second marriage 2 or 3 years later in one case where he was a soldier, and not allowed to be with his wife.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I'm wondering if he could have been the Enoch Ball imprisoned July 25 1855 for 6yrs. Ancestry threw this record up as a cross reference. Doesn't fit with the date of the banns though.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 16-08-17, 01:33.

Comment

Thank you all

Vera - Thank you for that suggestion. I suspect you may be right as I have now found quite a few references to Enoch Bill in the newspapers in regard to Criminal proceedings. He was back in prison on the 1881 census
                    I need to do a full time line to see when he was doing what but so far I have seen him described in 1863 as "a notorious character who has been before the magistrates 13 times" and by 1890 he had been charged 49 times previously. This time it was for an assault on someone he was living with.

I'm now beginning to think that the marriage certificate in 1882 doesn't name him as father because the family had disowned him?
                    Barbara

Comment

Working...
                    X