Henry Kirk, Railway Row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Kirk, Railway Row

I have a witness Henry Kirk at a wedding of a Hugh Kirk in 1866 in Sunderland. I am hoping he is a relative and might lead to where in Ireland Hugh son of Peter came from.

However all I can find out about Henry is that he gave his address as Railway Row, Sunderland in 1866, unfortunately half way between census's.

If he was living in Railway Row would he have been a railway employee?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Hi JBee, there are a lot of Henry Kirks being born in that area but only 2 Hugh Kirks, is the area you are talking about Bishopwearmouth Sunderland.

Robert

Comment

Yes Bishopwearmouth in Sunderland.

Hugh is my ancestor born somewhere in Ireland so was trying to find his marriage witness Henry(brother, cousin, friend) to see if it leads me to where.

However only having his name and where he was mid census makes it really difficult (might only have been there for the wedding, or might work for railway).
      Last edited by JBee; 09-08-17, 10:43.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Have you tried looking for tHugh's birth here
        This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

Margaret

Comment

Hello JBee

Bit confused re marriage cert. Was the address of Railway Row for Henry or
          Hugh. Witnesses don't usually give their addresses.

Railway Row was I believe a coal depot. Possibly owned by the mine company but not sure about that.

Please give a bit more info from mc. What was the occupation of Hugh and his father, Peter? and name of other witness.

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 09-08-17, 11:50.

Comment

Vera

There is a discrepancy in that the Marriage Certificate gives the date of marriage as 6th June 1866 but the Parish record was 7th June 1866 (marriage took place in the church)

Hugh Kirk was living at 20 Hope St, Bishopwearmouth and his wife Catherine McKenzie at 3 Nesham Place, Sunderland

Hugh's occupation was a "fire teaser in a glass factory" and his father Peter was deceased his occupation having been a farm labourer.

Henry Kirk's address Railway Row, Bishopwearmouth (no no) isn't on the marriage certificate but is in the Parish record.

Comment

Margaret

Yes I've tried to find a death for Peter Kirk prior to 1866 but without success.

Likewise for a birth for Hugh Kirk c1845

Comment

Working...
              X