Scottish marriage query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish marriage query

I have been searching for my 3rd gt Grandmother's 2nd marriage for ages. She married Joseph Archibald as Jean Wilson 01 Sep 1832, Brechin, Angus.
    I found her with her 2nd husband James Greig and my 2nd gt Grandmother Ann Archibald on 1841 census:

1841 census Ann Archibald.jpg

Her death cert as Jean Greig in 1883 confirms her as widow to both these spouses.

I've found this marriage on FS:
    Name James Greig
    Spouse's Name Jane Wilson
    Event Date 23 Jul 1838
    Event Place Brechin,Angus,Scotland

On later censuses she is both Jean and Jane although birth and first marriage are as Jean.
    Would she have married using her maiden name Wilson or previous married name Archibald?
    I'm not sure how widow's were documented (?) on remarriages in Scotland.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

She should have been married the second time as Jane/Jean "Archibald or Wilson". Scots records usually show all names a woman has been known by, provided the info was volunteered of course! The same format is used in police/court documents.
    As an example, should the OH's ex wife ever end up in court she would be legally referred to as "xx K or C or H or S" as there have been 3 marriages plus her maiden surname.
    The baptisms (or birth certs after 1855) for her children though would show mother's maiden surname of Wilson.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-08-17, 16:25.

Comment

Thanks GL
      There isn't much detail on the FS. No address for example. My sighting from Origins.net in 2006 gives address:

" Place: FARNELL, Angus
      Forename: Joseph
      Surname: Archibald
      Year: 1832
      Spouse forename: Jean
      Spouse surname: Wilson
      Date your request was received by Scots Origins: 05-08-2006
      The transcription details are as follow:
      Parish/District: Brechin
      Ref: 275/8, Frame 2112
      Details: 1832. 18th Aug. Joseph Archibald, Blacksmith, --saridieu (illegible) and Jean Wilson in Nether Tenements
      were contracted in order to marriage and their banns having been regularly published and no objections offered
      were married the 1st Sept."
      Kat

Comment

My Jeans and Jane's are completely interchangeable in Scotland and I have recently found a quite modern death in a woman's maiden name even though she was long married at the time of death. As usual, the information is only as good as the informant!

Even more confusing, many married women are shown in their maiden names on census. Took me ages to work that out!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC.
          Will get a few credits for SP as I'm right out at the moment to see where they were both living at time of marriage. James and Jean were living Upper Tenements on 1841 and Jean was living Nether Tenements when married to 1st husband.
          Kat

Comment

Also in the magnificent Scottish graveyards I have visited it is clear that most women are referred to by their maiden name when buried alongside their husbands.
            Anne

Comment

On SP you can also search the Valuation Rolls for 2 credits and most are midway between the census - eg 1855, 1865, 1875 etc up to 1930, I think.
              If you have an unusual name you maybe able to get free info just from the index search.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Another potential "freebie" on SP is the index of wills. Often there is a wealth of info in the index entry.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Events before 1855 often give very little information. After 1855 they are great. That is why getting death certificates for those born before 1855 is very useful as they're registered in both married and maiden surnames and gives the parents names too. Brilliant.

OPR's before 1855 might only give of this parish and no parents names for marriages.
                  Last edited by JBee; 13-08-17, 14:51.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                  X