Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were they sisters and if so, how can I prove it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were they sisters and if so, how can I prove it?

Ideas, strategies, please, on where else I could look to find out more about the parentage of both Catherine Dunn (Mrs Patrick Hogan) and Julia Dunn (Mrs Michael McDonough.) I’m not needing info on the details of the lives of either woman, unless it’s 1851 or earlier, so please don’t spend any of your time chasing them up in 1861 census and after.
    Both were (allegedly) married women, each with a husband and family, sharing a multi-occupancy dwelling in Newcastle on Tyne in 1861 census. Both were born in Ireland before the start of civil registration there, so no birth certs available. They began having their children in Newcastle in the 1850’s – RC baptism records and GRO birth registrations for each set of children record mmn as Dunn.
    There doesn’t appear to have been any civil record of a marriage for either of them – too early for the civil registration of RC marriages if they married in Ireland and I can find nothing in England, so no certs naming father of the bride available in either case. I live in hope of eventually finding RC church marriage register entries for each couple, but these didn’t record details of fathers, so won’t help establish possible family links between the two women. Over the decades though there are instances of vague connections between the two families, culminating in the marriage between the grandson of one woman and the granddaughter of the other.
    At different times I’ve tried English newspapers and have made various attempts at Irish parish records but have been unable to come up with anything linking these two women. Similarly with 1851 census.

Alleged dates for Catherine - born 1830 -1834, death 1868, born Ireland. (So only the 1861 census return for her.) Julia: born 1834 – 1838, death 1914, born Ireland, possibly Galway, probably county rather than city. Like most of my Irish families, they were always pretty flexible about ages and very sparse on details of precise origins!

I have to go out this afternoon, but will be back later in the day. Thanks for reading.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree
Working...
X