Searching for Pearce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Pearce

I am recently coming back to family research after a long break. I posted this question a few weeks ago on GR, but apart from one kind lady confirming my information for me, it seems no-one could help. I am hoping fresh eyes on here could provide the breakthrough I need.

I am looking for my Great Grandfather, William Pearce. Until recently I didn't know who he was and it was finding an article in the Newspaper Archives that gave me the answer. My Great Grandmother, Priscilla Jewell sued him for maintenance of her child in 1885 (she did this again, with someone else in 1890).

I have since been searching for William Pearce but have become somewhat bogged down and could do with some objectivity!

In the court case, she states that they worked in service together in Gwarder, which is a farmhouse near Penryn in Cornwall. In 1881 there is a William Pearce aged 18. working as Farm Servant (indoor) at Gonreve, which is a neighbouring property. His birthplace is shown as Mylor, also near to Penryn.

I thought perhaps William would have lost his job at Gwarder following his foray into fatherhood.

In 1871, there is a William Pearce aged 9 living in Mylor with Jane Pearce 76 and Eliza Pearce 40. Eliza Pearce is shown as daughter and a widow. Am I right in thinking that a daughter-in-law might have been shown as a daughter? I don't know if I should be assuming that Pearce was her maiden name or if she was married to Jane Pearce's son.

My grandmother was born in April 1884. In January 1884 (before the court case) there is a marriage between a William Pearce aged 23 and Rebecca Peters both of Mylor. I have the certificate. He is shown as a Railway Packer, son of Willam Pearce, carpenter. Rebecca Peters address is Poplar Cottage Mylor, which is a neighbouring property to Gonreve. She is there in 1881 working as a dairymaid.

I also have a certificate for the birth of a William Pearce in Falmouth in Dec Q 1862, but it is not the right one.

There are other William Pearces in Cornwall at the same time, but none are geographically this close. It's all circumstantial of course, but I am going round in circles with this. I am reluctant to follow William Pearce the carpenter or Eliza Pearce, mother of the 9 year old in case I am barking up the wrong tree.
    Have I got the right candidate(s) to start with? Is the William in the 1881 my William? Is the William in the 1884 marriage my William? Is the 9 year old William in the 1871 my William?

I really need some fresh eyes on this and would be grateful for anybody's input. I have visitors arriving tomorrow, so may not be able to log in too much, but I will come back to any possible replies ASAP

Hi

Before we all start looking for anything can you confirm who your G Grandmother was. Priscilla Jewell or Rebecca Peters. Also your Grandmothers name.

There is a Beatrice Mary Pearce born sep 1884 mmn Peters
    Also Eliza Jane Pearce born Dec 1885 mmn Peters both Falmouth

Then Elizabeth Jane Pearce born Mar 1885 mmn Jewell Helston

Thanks, then we can go backwards.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Probably none of the above. Just looked at the newspaper report and the Grandmother was born 31 Mar 1884.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

have you looked at this one in 1881

Thomas H Pearce Head Single Male 38 1843 Farm Labourer St Anthony, Cornwall, England
        Joanna Pearce Mother Single Female 65 1816 - St Anthony, Cornwall, England
        Mary Pearce Aunt Single Female 59 1822 - St Anthony, Cornwall, England
        William Pearce Cousin Single Male 16 1865 Farm Servant St Anthony, Cornwall, England

living in
        Carne, St Anthony in Meneage, Helston, Cornwall, England

Comment

I decided to look at the witnesses in the newspaper case
          in 1881
          Louisa Rogers
          Jessica Rogers
          John Henry Williams
          There is a Louisa Rogers in Penryn born 1863 dont know if this helps or not

Comment

Thank you for replying. Sorry for the delay in coming back. My Great Grandmother was Priscilla Jewell. My Grandmother was Jessie Jewell. The Rogers girls were also family connections - Priscilla's mother was Priscilla Rogers. The Jewell families and the Rogers families are all fairly tangled I'm afraid!

I hadn't discounted the William Pearce from St Anthony (same occupation), which isn't too far away but went for the one working at Gonreve because it borders onto Gwarder - I thought that he may have moved from one employer to another nearby. At the time of "connection" with Priscilla, she says they both worked at Gwarder.

Hope this helps!

Comment

My visitors have gone home so I should be able to keep an eye on this thread fairly well now!

Comment

Really disappointed that no-one has been able to help with this. I had high hopes! I would be grateful for just an opinion as to whether it is worth my pursuing any of the Williams I found or whether they are too indefinite to warrant this.

Comment

Well, if this were my search, I would investigate all leads in the absence of any definite progress! You never know where it might lead. Otherwise, you just have to give up.

OC

Comment

What was the name of the child born c. 1885 to Priscilla Jewell and William Pearce?
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I agree with OC - I would chase up ALL possibilities, however remote, and keep track of my findings and of which records I'd searched. I'd also add that in some of my problem cases, it has taken a considerable time to find the RIGHT solution, after chasing several red herrings along the way.
                      Have you found a baptism entry for your grandmother and checked the actual parish register to see if the vicar passed comment? (However, I've found that by 1884 vicars weren't so free with their marginal notes :() Anything at the county record office of the area where she was born? (Most now have online catalogues which can be searched.)

It's up to you whether or not you feel you should give up, and when - it took me over two decades to unravel the real identity and birth name of a great-great grandmother. As my research seems to indicate that she was born during the quite long time span between the two marriages of her mother, was baptised with just the name of her mother being recorded, then married using her mother's maiden surname and supplying a fictitious name for her father, I think she was illegitimate and doubt I shall ever be able to identify her father, let alone prove it. I think that I have reached the end of the road on this one, although from time to time I look at the alleged father's name and see if there are any new candidates on the scene.

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-08-17, 13:42.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I assume that the grandmother Jessie Louise Jewell born in 1884 is the child that was claimed for in 1885 Elizabeth? The possibility I can see for another child is the Mary who is older and also granddaughter in 1891 - JEWELL, MARY MAUD ACKERLEY -
                        GRO Reference: 1881 S Quarter in FALMOUTH Volume 05C Page 162
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you OC - I am afraid you may be right - I was just hoping someone might have a bright idea!

Elizabeth - she was Jessie Jewell.

Comment

Have you used Cornwall OPC website?

I kept looking at this earlier today:

Day Month 07-Sep
                            Year 1887
                            Parish Or Reg District Budock
                            Forename Jane Louisa
                            Surname JEWELL
                            Sex dau
                            Father Forename Willie
                            Mother Forename Priscilla
                            Residence Penryn
                            Father Rank Profession Labourer
                            Notes
                            Transcriber Notes
                            Transcriber Malcolm Rule
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:
                            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Is this your Priscilla at Budock, parents William and Priscilla in 1881?

So born 1868:
                              Day Month 24-Jun
                              Year 1873
                              Parish Or Reg District Budock
                              Forename Priscilla
                              Surname JEWELL
                              Sex dau
                              Father Forename William
                              Mother Forename Priscilla
                              Residence Budock
                              Father Rank Profession Shoemaker
                              Notes Transcriber Notes
                              Transcriber Malcolm Rule

If you are stuck on this you could contact the OPC for Budock. Ask about Bastardy Allegations.

England, English, Cornwall, Cornish, OPC, online parish clerk, online, parish, clerk, parishes, church, record, records, genealogy, family history, marriage, marriages, birth, births, baptism, baptisms, death, deaths, burial, burials, census, accounts, rates, school, schools, monumental inscription, tombstone, help, aid, advice, research
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

What exactly did it say on your Grandmother's birth certificate please i.e. Her full name, mother's name and occupation and was there anything under father's name at all?
                                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-08-17, 18:34.

Comment

Please ignore the Mary I posted above as Pricilla would only have been 13/14 years of age when Mary was born.

This is the 1891 census I was looking at -
                                  Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

and the 1891 census -
                                  Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Comment

Many thanks for all your replies - much appreciated. Janet, I shall keep looking - it's got under my skin and I shan't be able to leave it alone! I haven't seen the actual parish register for the baptism of Jessie - my grandmother (although it's possible my brother might have - he did research on this side of the family years ago, pre computers - I shall ask him, he's away at the moment).

Priscilla was indeed the daughter of William and Priscilla Jewell of Budock. She left Jessie with her parents to be brought up. We knew that there was also another illegitimate child - Lilah - who was brought up by her sister's family - also in Budock/Penryn. It was finding the newspaper reports of the Bastardy Allegations that gave me the name of my Great Grandfather (William Pearce). I think it likely that even Jessie didn't know who he was. The second newspaper report gave details of another child, born in 1890. As Lilah was not born until 1892, this was a third child that was unknown in our family. This was Beatrice who was left with another sister - Margaret Kemp (nee Jewell) in Leytonstone, London to be brought up. Priscilla went on to marry someone else altogether in 1897 and had another 7 children.

Chrissie, Jessie Louise Jewell's birth certificate shows her mother as Priscilla Jewell, domestic servant. No entry for the father. Date of birth 7th March 1884.

Comment

Cornwall holds the key to William Pearce, so contact the Budock OPC to see what further records there may be. Not all have yet been transcribed.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth - I'll do that. I had drawn a blank on the Cornish OPC website, but I didn't know that there were records not yet transcribed - you have given me hope!

On another note - I see that you are researching Whites in Surrey. On the other side of my family, I also have Surrey Whites, originating in the Abinger Hammer area near Guildford. A common name I know and probably just a coincidence, but still ........

Comment

Working...
                                        X