Rank at date of discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank at date of discharge

Can anyone please help me find out what rank Thomas Gash (born 1910 died 1987) was at the time of his discharge on medical grounds from the Army. It is understood he joined the Royal Artillery on 8th July 1934 and was discharged on 30th May 1944. His service number was 812578.

Your help would be much appreciated.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

on FMP it states
    thomas Gash 8.7.1934 Royal Artillery
    Para 390 (XV1) KR.30 5/44 (5/1944)

KR might be Kings Regiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
      on FMP it states
      thomas Gash 8.7.1934 Royal Artillery
      Para 390 (XV1) KR.30 5/44 (5/1944)

KR might be Kings Regiment.
      From memory but I believe KR in this context means Kings Regulations, so is the reason why he was discharged from service.
      Vicky

Comment

I can't find regulation XV1, but regulation XVi was discharged as 'No longer physically fit for service'.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Many thanks for responding. We were led to believe he was discharged on medical grounds although no specific details. Its his rank when he was discharged that I'm trying to track down. Any advice on how to do so would be appreciated.
          Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

I don't know much about ranks Linda, but I believe they started as Gunner. So as he was in for less than a year, wouldn't his rank been likely to stay the same? Or did you hear that he had been promoted? The next rank appears to be lance-bombardier.

Comment

Shows the structure of the RA and ranks.

British artillery organisations and establishments during World War 2

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi - he was in for about 10 years, joined in 1934. Thanks for the link Jbee, will have a look.
                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Would I be able to obtain a copy of his Service record? Would I get this from his Regiment?

Its O.K. I've found www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records web site. Shall follow up on that one. Will let you know if I am successful.
                  Last edited by Linda from Murton; 31-07-17, 21:46.
                  Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post
                    Hi - he was in for about 10 years, joined in 1934. Thanks for the link Jbee, will have a look.
                    Oops - sorry Linda :o I got my months and years mixed up.

Comment

No problem Chrissie. xx
                      Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

It can take a long time to get the service docs, has been known to be as long as 18 months I believe.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

They are much quicker now - 2 to 3 months or so
                          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X